ENPARD-3: Sustainable Rural Development in Georgia
The project is part of the larger European Neighbourhood Programme for Agriculture and Rural Development (ENPARD), funded by the European Union (EU) and implemented in cooperation with the Georgian Government and a wide range of international and national partners and stakeholders.
ENPARD aims to reduce rural poverty and promote rural development in Georgia, boost development potential of the rural areas and create economic and social opportunities for people beyond agricultural activities.
The implementation of ENPARD marks a fundamental shift in the overall development of Georgia, assisting the country to create strong policies and pilot successful practices in sustainable rural development for the benefit of people and communities.
what we do
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the key international partner of the European Union in rural development. We work to address the structural and systemic challenges that hamper rural development in Georgia and ensure that more diverse rural services are delivered to the population in an efficient, effective and sustainable way. UNDP’s work is based on the strategic approach defined by Georgia’s national Rural Development Strategy, adopted in 2017.
Targeting all regions of Georgia, including Ajara Autonomous Republic, UNDP focuses on the improvement of rural development policy and governance, diversification of rural economies, sustainable environmental practices, and on the increased engagement of all stakeholders, including local communities, in rural development.
Specific pilot initiatives are being implemented in the municipalities of Lagodekhi, Dedoplistskaro, Tetritskaro, Borjomi, Akhalkalaki, Kazbegi, Keda and Khulo.
UNDP operates in partnership and cooperation with the wide range of stakeholders, including the Government of Georgia, Government of Ajara Autonomous Republic, regional and municipal authorities, civil society and community organizations, local activist groups, academic institutions and the private sector.
Our work complements the initiative FAO support to Georgian agricultural sector under ENPARD III. Previously, in the framework of ENPARD, UNDP has implemented the initiatives ENPARD-1: Rural Development in Ajara Autonomous Republic and ENPARD-2: Promoting Rural Development in Georgia.
- Improved governance for the effective implementation of the national Rural Development Strategy, Rural Development Action Plan, and other related programmes.
- Improved rural economic diversification, employment and services all over Georgia.
- Improved environment protection, sustainable management of natural resources and climate action.
- Improved governance for the effective implementation of the Rural Development Strategy, Rural Development Action Plan and related programmes in Ajara Autonomous Republic.
- Improved economic diversification, environment protection, sustainable management of natural resources and climate action in Ajara Autonomous Republic.
Min. Env. Prot. & Agri. of GEO
DELIVERY IN PREVIOUS YEARS