Social and Environmental Sustainability in UNDP
UNDP is committed to ensuring that our programming and operations are socially and environmentally sustainable.
Sustainable Programme and project management
UNDP recognizes that social and environmental sustainability are fundamental to the achievement of sustainable development outcomes, and therefore must be fully integrated into our Programmes and Projects. To ensure this we have the following key policies, procedures and accountability mechanisms in place to underpin our support to countries:
- Social and Environmental Standards for UNDP Programmes and Projects
- Project-level Social and Environmental Screening Procedure
- Accountability Mechanism with two key functions:
1. A Stakeholder Response Mechanism that ensures individuals, peoples, and communities affected by UNDP projects have access to appropriate procedures for hearing and addressing project-related grievances.
2. A Compliance Review process to respond to claims that UNDP is not in compliance with UNDP’s social and environmental policies.
Environmentally sustainable operations
As a global leader in the fight against climate change, UNDP is committed to being green, sustainable, and just. UNDP has been climate neutral in its global operations since 2015 and has made an ambitious commitment to reduce its carbon footprint by 50% by 2050 through the Greening UNDP Moonshot. Read more ...
To help countries achieve the simultaneous eradication of poverty and significant reduction of inequalities and exclusion, while at the same time address the issues of climate change, UNDP makes a shift to more sustainable production and consumption practices. Sustainable procurement means making sure that the products and services UNDP buys are as sustainable as possible, with the lowest environmental impact and most positive social results. Procurement, therefore, plays a key role in contributing to sustainable development.
Please find more information on the UNDP Procurement Website.
- Framework for Advancing Environmental and Social Sustainability in the UN System
- UN Greening the Blue