Empowering municipal councils
The project aims to empower municipal councils to become more effective and autonomous bodies, better able to withstand the executive’s influence, by properly fulfilling their constitutionally assigned roles of legislation, oversight and representation.
A series of activities are being carried out to help increase the transparency and accountability of mayors towards the councils, and of the municipalities towards their citizens, in order to improve the living conditions for all local communities.
- Increased capacities of 250-300 councilors (at least one-third of whom are women) in financial management and other core subjects through the Capacity Development Programme;
- Institutionalized e-knowledge platform available to all 1,347 councilors;
- Strengthened councilors’ role and performance in the municipal governance through adoption of at least one innovative measure for improved transparency, accountability and citizens’ participation in 24 municipalities;
- Mechanism for citizen participation in decision making (community and budget forums) utilized for setting community priorities in each of 24 municipalities;
- Municipal grants scheme supporting priority community projects implemented in 24 municipalities (50,000 CHF per municipality);
- Off-line and online network for cooperation and exchange of information and experience created in which one-fourth of all councilors participate.
United Nations Development Programme
GOVERNMENT OF NORTH MACEDONIA
GOVERNMENT OF SWITZERLAND
UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PRO
DELIVERY IN PREVIOUS YEARS
Building Municipal Capacity for Project Implementation
The project aims at supporting the municipalities in the country to make full use of the funds available from the central government, the European Union (EU), int...
Innovative Solutions for Improved Access to Services at Local Level
The project ensures that the Ministry of Local Self -Government as coordinator and monitoring authority of the decentralization process in the country enable citi...
Improving municipal governance
The project aims to improve people’s lives by helping municipal governments to secure the funds and develop the skills they need to deliver high-quality public se...
Regional Programme on Local Democracy in the Western Balkans 2 (ReLOaD2)
The Regional Programme on Local Democracy in the Western Balkans 2 (ReLOaD2) aims to strengthen participatory democracies and European Union integration processes...