We’re closing out a year that’s contained great challenges and victories - from COVID variants spreading rampantly to the negative outcomes of our climate crisis and economic and social upheavals.
I know so many of you are exhausted and perhaps struggling. I see you and I send you hugs and strength.
At the same time, there are things to celebrate this year:
- We developed Smart Walking Canes and Robots with Ultra Violet capability, for people with disabilities and cleaning public places respectively;
- We initiated an E-mobility pilot scheme through retrofitting old motorcycles and installation of electric charging stations
- We helped strengthen the justice system, including installing video capability at Nyarugenge prison to reduce case backlogs.
- we improved trading conditions for women traders in Rubavu;
- We planted about 5 thousands trees across the country;
- We supported the economic recovery, including through creation of more than 8 thousand descents jobs
- We strengthened entrepreneurial capacity amongst young people, and supported a hugely successful Hanga PitchFest showcasing young entrepreneurial capability
- We strengthened institutional capacity, including through the launch of a national policy Hub
- we supported social healing in prisons and communities, in view of the genocide against the Tutsi.
- We supported gender accountability in the private sector.
- We improved the quality and quantity of stories we tell, attracting attention of much wider audience and partners.
- Overall, we enabled Government to do its work effectively.
Colleagues, we made sure Rwandans were able to count on us regardless of what faces us. UNDP has created, dreamed, led, built, written, and spoken and you’ve made a difference. Wherever you fell in the spectrum this year – just working to make it through each day to leading big projects, I am proud of you. May 2022 be a brighter year for everyone. And may you find joy and success. Happy holidays and happy new year!