My Vote Matters: Youth-led Campaign on Voter Education
October 21, 2022
As the government of Nepal has announced House of Representative (HoR) and Province Assemblies (PA) elections for November 20 in one phase, this is a crucial time to encourage and aware young people to vote. Making youth aware of their rights would lead them to be active and responsible citizens. Engaging youth in the election process aims to create a democratic culture to strengthen democracy. For the youth to express their voice and bring reforms in the government they must elect their representative who strongly relays their voice to the concerned authority. For this, it is vital for the young people to have the right to vote and utilize their rights.
Realizing this, UNDP and UNV Nepal have launched an online campaign “My Vote Matters" with the support of youths from across the country. The campaign aims of initiating a national movement to increase the number of aware youth voters in Nepal for the upcoming HoR and PA elections. The online campaign will also support Election Commission Nepal (ECN) in the dissemination of their voter education materials to counter misinformation and disinformation during the election period.
- Awareness Raising: The main agenda of 'My Vote Matters' campaign is to spread awareness among the people about voter education and voting rights.
- Changing their profile picture with a frame “My Vote Matters”: The online volunteers will be informed to change their profile picture of Facebook to the frame "My Vote Matters". The design of the frame will be jointly created by the ESP team of UNDP Nepal and UNV. Through this frame, a massive outreach and promotion on the value of voting will be relayed on social media platforms especially to women users.
- Promoting existing social media contents developed by Election Commission Nepal and ESP: The volunteers will be asked to share/post the flyer, videos, PSAs, and other social media contents through their personal social media handles so that their peers, friends, and family are well informed about voter education and electoral process. It is ensured that the contents are accessible for the PwD as well.
- Reach out to Challenge among volunteers: There will be a challenge among the volunteers to reach out to the maximum number of female voters. Three volunteers from each province with maximum reach will be provided with gifts/goodies.
The volunteers will be providing their services for 20 days starting from 30th October 2022 until the election.
Benefits for Volunteers:
The volunteers will be provided with a volunteer certificate for their remarkable contribution in the 'My Vote Matters' campaign.
Deadline: 30 October 2022
Applications link for each province:
1. Province 1: https://app.unv.org/opportunities/1706319080463616
2. Madhesh province: https://app.unv.org/opportunities/1706318820897024
3. Bagmati province: https://app.unv.org/opportunities/1706318935995648
4. Gandaki province: https://app.unv.org/opportunities/1706318876133632
5. Lumbini province: https://app.unv.org/opportunities/1706319041602816
6. Karnali province: https://app.unv.org/opportunities/1706318988048640
7. Sudurpaschim province: https://app.unv.org/opportunities/1706316727873792