A lady with a lotus flower

Funding and delivery

The number and diversity of donors contributing to UNDP programmes confirms the confidence of the national government and the international and local community in our role as a partner of choice for sustainable development.The following graphs show where our funding comes from and how it is spent. Sharing this information is part of UNDP’s commitment to transparency and accountability to our funders, partners, project participants and the public.

In 2021, UNDP Nepal implemented development programmes across Nepal with a total expenditure of $20.4 million, of which 49 percent was resources from UNDP core funding. The remaining 51 percent was mobilized from bilateral and multilateral donors and agencies, Global Environment Facility, Global Climate Fund, and other sources. Breaking down UNDP's 2021 expenditure by thematic areas, the greatest investment by value was in inclusive economic growth at 42.1 percent followed by resilience and reconstruction at and democratic governance, both 29 percent. More than half of UNDP's total expenditures contributed directly or significantly to achieving gender equality and social inclusion.

To explore more parameters of our funding, please go to open.undp.org.


Core donors

UNDP is thankful to all our core donors who have long been providing crucial funding to UNDP at the global level. Many of our core donors (refer to the list above) are also providing direct funding to UNDP Nepal in addition to their support at the global level.Core donors are the ones who provide UNDP with regular resources and that is the pillar of UNDP’s support to the world’s poorest countries to eradicate poverty and inequality, attain sustainable development, and strengthen resilience to crisis. Core resources allow UNDP to enable coordinated, flexible, and rapid responses to development needs and emergencies; provide capability for multi-sectoral and integrated solutions; support countries to leverage financing for the SDGs; and enhance thought leadership, innovation, and quality assurance.