Youth Op Ed & Video Series Calls Attention to Lessons & Solutions for Poverty Alleviation
January 5, 2023
UNDP has partnered with six youth leaders to highlight poverty eradication pathways and solutions for Jamaica in a limited-run Op Ed and Video series.
The Op Eds, coordinated by the UNDP Multi Country Office in partnership with the youth leaders are being published courtesy of the Gleaner, while the UNDP-produced video series is scheduled for posting on social media channels and the Public Broadcasting Channel of Jamaica (PBCJ).
The six youth leaders, all partners in UNDP’s Ready Set Great youth in development showcase in 2020 and 2021 draw on lessons from their work in their Non-Governmental Organizations and propose a mix of solutions based on their experience and curated from Calls to Actions from youth delegates of the Ready Set Great showcase. Inspiration for the Calls to Action come from Human Development Reports, the experiences of the youth leaders and other credible evidenced-based sources.
Participating leaders are:
- · Lanisia Rhoden, head of Young Men and Women of Purpose (YWOP/WMOP)
- · Jénine Shepherd, Executive Director and Chair of Youths For Excellence
- · Letesha Whyte, President, National Police Youth Club Council of Jamaica (NPYCCJ)
- · Neville Charlton, Founder, Youths Inspiring Positive Change JA. Ltd (YIPCJA) - Youth4peace
- · Eleanor Terrelonge, Director and Founder of the Jamaica Climate Change Youth Council
- · Jhannel Tomlinson, PhD candidate climate change adaptation; Co-Founder, Young People for Action on Climate Change (YPACC), Advisor Green grants fund
- · Christina Williams, Ready Reset Recharge 2020 Steering Committee Member and member of the winning Development Challenge 2020 team that pitched the digital solution Covinnected
Topics to be explored over a five-week run starting Thursday 5 January are loosely aligned with the four pillars of the UNDP Multi Country Office in Jamaica’s new 2022 – 2026 Country Programme.
The Op Eds and Video features focus on the leaders’ experiences and lessons learned from building social resilience through youth entrepreneurship and sustainable farming education; peace ambassadorial programmes to break cycles of violence; new emerging jobs in the blue and green economies; and digital inclusion.
Browse More Stories