What action will you take today?
There is no Planet B. We only have one planet, and while we cannot go back in time, we can start now. We can start now by growing trees, changing our diet habits, using our energy efficiently. We can start now working for nature. We can start now by driving less, recycling plastic waste, greening our cities and making peace with nature.
With less than 10 years left to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), it is imperative that we all play a part in preventing, reversing, and interrupting the deterioration of our eco systems and environment. By saving the environment together, we can end poverty, fight climate change, and create a sustainable future for people and the planet. Together, we can be #GenerationRestoration, but we all have a part to play.
Millions of people around the 🌎 have joined the ActNow Movement! Through following ten simple actions, You can too!
1) Five-Minute Showers: Water is a limited and valuable resource. UNICEF and WHO estimate that 1 in 3 people worldwide do not have access to safe drinking water. YOU can save more than 45 litres of water every time by limiting your showers to 5 minutes only.
2) Bring Your Own Bag: Egypt uses around 12 billion plastic bags every year according to the Ministry of Environment. In a bid to protect the environment, Egypt’s Red Sea governorate has already banned the use of single-use plastics in the area. By bringing your own reusable bag, YOU can also help reduce emissions, save water, and cut down on plastic waste. #BYOB.
3) Drive Less: Before cars took over, one of Egypt’s most common modes of transportation was bikes. The transportation sector is one of the country’s biggest sources of greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution. Through UNDP Egypt’s Sustainable Transport project, in cooperation with the Ministry of Environment and the Global Environment Facility; a high-quality bus service project and a bike sharing scheme in Fayoum governorate were launched. Join us by leaving your car and cycling, walking, or carpooling with friends and family instead.
4) Lights Off: Using electricity more efficiently reduces both the amount of fuel needed to generate electricity therefore reducing the amount of greenhouse gases emitted as a result and saves YOU money.
5) Local Produce: Egypt is known for its rich food culture and authentic local produce. Buying local Egyptian produce does not only support its economy, strengthen the local workforce and businesses, and provides a healthy meal; it also reduces the climate impact of food production. By buying locally, you are lowering the food miles it takes to get your food on the table effectively reducing your carbon footprint.
6) Recycle your Plastic: Egypt produces more than 5 million metric tonnes of plastic every year according to the American Chamber of Commerce in Egypt. It can take up to 500 years for plastic to decompose and even then, plastic turns into microplastics that affect our food, water, and our ecosystem. Recycling plastic not only saves the environment, but saves energy helping combat climate change.
7) Refill & Reuse: Billions of disposable coffee-cups are thrown away each year globally. That is both paper and plastic littering our planet and taking years to decompose. To limit waste and its detrimental effects on people and the planet, save CO2 emissions and water, carry a reusable coffee cup wherever you go.
8) Unplug: Computers, chargers, printers & TVs are all energy vampires that use energy even when they are switched off. You can save electricity and money by unplugging your appliances when you are not using them.
9) Zero-Waste Fashion: The fashion industry is the second highest user of water worldwide. It takes 10,000 litres of water to make one pair of jeans. This is equivalent to the amount of water a person drinks in 10 years. By recycling your clothes, swapping with friends, creating new clothes from old ones and shopping second hand, YOU are protecting the environment.
10) Eat a Plant Based-Meal: Limiting your meat intake and eating more plant-based meals such as vegetables and whole grains reduces greenhouse gas emissions while saving water and land.
People around the world are engaged to make a difference, be part of the solution to a more sustainable future and combat critical issue facing our times. By registering and sharing your actions, you send a message that individuals like you want climate action and are willing to take it.
ActNow highlights the impact collective individual action can have at this critical moment in our planet’s history. The more YOU act, the bigger the impact. Be Part of the change and #ACTNOW!
ActNow is the United Nations’ global call to individual action on climate change. The campaign is a critical part of the UN’s coordinated effort to raise awareness, ambition, and action for climate change and accelerate implementation of the Paris Agreement.
ActNow harnesses advances in Artificial Intelligence (AI) to spur behaviour change. The ActNow bot recommends daily actions to reduce our carbon footprints. Find out more on the global campaign by visiting: https://www.un.org/en/actnow/ , download the app and join the campaign online using #ActNow and #ActNowEgypt.
UNDP Egypt works to protect the environment, tackle climate change, and support the Egyptian government in achieving its national vision and in delivering the SDGs by 2030.