Facilitating Economic Transformation and Sustainable Development in Wuhai City
As UNDP China’s first step in greening the mining industry, which is closely related to all the 17 SDGs, this project will explore options for transitioning the economy to a green economy that is inter alia, low-carbon, resource efficient and socially inclusive. The project will also promote ecosystem remediation and wetland conservation in the mining areas to reduce environmental risks and scarcities. The objective of the project, to help facilitate the realization of a green economy, is to be achieved by strengthening the environmental and development policy process, pilots in mine management and slag mountain management, pilots in new energy sources, promoting biodiversity conservation and ecotourism, increasing livelihood opportunities with a focus on women, and increasing indigenous people knowledge of environmental issues, and providing solid project management and technical support.
With UNDP’s facilitation and support for the project as well as Guangna’s endeavors, Guangna has already been awarded the first “Green Mine Mountains” at the autonomous region level.
· The transitioning of Wuhai City’s economy to a green economy is well underway by 2022.
· By 2022, Wuhai city implements strengthened environmental protection frameworks and sustainable development policies and initiatives.
· Output 4: Policy recommendations on incentive policies and regulations in place.
· Output 5: Pilots in hydrogen economy and carbon circular economy initiatives conducted.
· Output 6: Pilots in carbon capture and utilisation technologies conducted.
· Output 7: Methodology in carbon emission reduction by fuel cells application in transportation sector in place.
· Output 8: Eco-tourism initiatives in mining related areas in place and/or strengthened.
· Output 10: Capacity of Wuhai City in wetland management effectively strengthened.
· Output 11: New livelihood business model researched and demonstrated, and livelihood opportunities for men and women indigenous people strengthened.
· Output 12: Capacity of Wuhan City in planning and implementing environment education and communications effectively strengthened.
China International Centre For
GOVERNMENT OF CHINA
UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PRO
DELIVERY IN PREVIOUS YEARS