Catalysing a sustainable shift towards e-mobility
In Viet Nam, transport industry contributes significantly to the total greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. The sector emitted 43.6 million metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (tCO2e), accounting for 21.2% of total GHG emissions (data 2016). The Viet Nam’s NDC 2020 shows that GHG emissions from the transportation industry will double to 87.9 million tCO2e by 2030. In addition to significant GHG emissions, fossil-fueled vehicles produce enormous volumes of solid matter and fine particles (PM2.5), which can cause cancer and severe respiratory disorders among other possible health issues.
The Prime Minister approved the Action plan for green energy transition and reduction of carbon dioxide and methane emissions of transport sector (Decision No. 876.QD-TTg) in July 2022, aiming to fuel switching to electricity and green energy for all transport vehicles and equipment to achieve zero emission targets by 2050.
The project will contribute to the implementation of the “Action plan for green energy transition” and the NDC of Viet Nam and has a link to the UNDP global Climate Promise Project Leveraging NDCs to Achieve Net-Zero Emissions and Climate-Resilient Development in Response to the Climate Emergency.
The project aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by enhancing the ecosystem for e-mobility and green transport at the national level.
Output 1: Enabling environment at national level to facilitate the widespread adoption of electric vehicles (EV) as part of green recovery in Viet Nam.
- Conduct trainings for relevant national and provincial government officials and stakeholders from the private sector on the environmental, financial, and health benefits of EVs.
- Support creation of national supportive ecosystem for EVs with technical standards adoption and technical inputs for formulation of National Programme on environmentally friendly passenger transportation development.
- Enhance awareness and knowledge of the general public on the benefits of EVs and environmentally friendly vehicles
Output 2: City action plan and demonstration electric vehicle application and use in Hue city.
- Provide technical support to Hue city to develop city’s action plan for green transportation.
- Provide training and undertake awareness raising campaigns on E-mobility and green transportation organized.
- Pilot incentive mechanism to increase use of EVs.