CONFLICT PREVENTION AND PEACEBUILDING
The Crisis Prevention and Recovery Programme (CPR) supports the Government of Lebanon in strengthening Lebanon’s resilience to threats posed by conflicts and disasters. The Programme works in several thematic areas, including policy support on disaster risk management, mine action, improving living condition for Palestinian Refugees including in Palestinian Gatherings, Peace building and community security and access to justice. After the outbreak of the Syrian crisis and its repercussions on Lebanon and as part of the overall UN and UNDP strategy to respond to the crisis, the CPR programme aligned its priorities and interventions to the new context, to remain relevant and respond to the most urgent needs of the Lebanese host communities while at the same time bridging its interventions to longer term development to strengthen the humanitarian development nexus.
Through its interventions, the CPR programme addresses perceived threats and engages stakeholders, including women, youth and marginalized groups, in a constructive dialogue that fosters mutual understanding, reshapes perceptions and identifies viable alternatives.
The unit carries out rapid conflict risk analyses, implements local peace structures to reduce tensions in the 251 municipalities most affected by the crisis (in parallel to the Basic services and livelihood interventions carried out by the SLD unit in the same areas), works with media institutions on promoting the “Peace” agenda, and targets teachers and youth in public schools in partnership with the Ministry of Education, with the aim of rejecting violence and accepting the other. The special focus is also on social cohesion and conflict resolution, targeting media, education, local level conflict resolution and capacity building of civil society organizations and youth.
The portfolio also aims also at assisting the government in building resilience towards natural and man-made disasters.
Activities & goals
Peace Building in Lebanon:
- Education promoting social cohesion supported
- Media empowered to promote balanced and conflict sensitive media coverage
- Local level peace building strategies to mitigate tensions developed in selected conflict prone areas of Lebanon hosting Syrian refugees
- An NGO platform promoting nation-wide truth and reconciliation supported and ex-fighters’ role in promoting peace building enforced
Strengthening Disaster Risk Management Capacities in Lebanon-Phase 3:
- National Disaster risk strategy and Response Framework endorsed and national preparedness to withstand and response to recurrent disasters is improved
- Preparedness and Response sectoral capabilities are strengthened
- DRM capacities at the sub-national level are strengthened
- Proactive support to the institutionalization of the DRM efforts is provided
Improving Living Conditions in Palestinian Gatherings Host Communities: Towards More Comprehensive and Sustainable Solutions:
- Provide environmentally and economically sustainable WASH services at community level in the gatherings.
- Improve environmental and structural conditions of shelter units in the gatherings.
- Promote inclusive and safer environments in the gatherings though comprehensive neighborhood upgrading interventions.
- Improve hygiene conditions for host and new refugee communities in the gatherings.
- Reduce youth risky behaviors in the gatherings through livelihood interventions.
- Develop a national coordination and planning platform for response and development in Palestinian Gatherings.
- Local communities and institutions supported to respond to COVID-19 in the gatherings.
Enhancing Community Security and Access to Justice in Lebanese Host Communities:
- Host communities and Syrian refugees have access to basic security services that respond to their needs
- MoIM Governorate/District authorities and ISF provide support to municipalities to respond to basic security needs
- Vulnerable groups, including women, have access to basic justice services
- Basic needs of prison population at risk are addressed
Support the implementation of the Lebanese Palestinian Dialogue Committee (LPDC) Strategic Plan:
- Strengthen Dialogue facilitation and reconciliation capacity
- Support Legislative Reform agenda
- Strengthen strategic Communication and Coordination roles
- Increase Policy research capabilities
Addressing the humanitarian and development impact posed by mines, cluster munitions and explosive remnants of war:
- Core national capacity to document and prioritize clearance operations strengthened and land release supported
- LMAC’s compliance with international and national obligations maintained and its coordination functions strengthened
- LMAC’s communication and partnerships capacities strengthened