Winning Over COVID (CoWIN)
COVID-19 Vaccine Intelligence Network (CoWIN) is the digital backbone of India’s rapidly expanding and one of the world’s largest COVID-19 vaccination programmes. It is a scalable, inclusive, and open platform for universal vaccination, and enables monitoring of vaccine utilization, coverage, and wastage throughout the system. The citizen-centric solution facilitates registration and booking of appointments for vaccination, regular reminders and communication, provision of vaccination certificates for citizens and helps programme managers and vaccinators to create and manage sessions, develop reports and monitor progress.
The state-of-the-art platform ensures:
- Each dose of vaccination is digitally acknowledged using a QR based certificate. The certificate can be easily traced and verified.
- Minimum prescribed time interval is maintained between the first and second doses of vaccination.
- Invariably, the same type of vaccine is administered during the second dose.
- Vaccination data can be used for future pandemic planning and for research and development.
- Vaccine is administered to only an identifiable individual, thus preventing pilferage and fraud.
- In case of adverse events following immunization, beneficiaries, vaccine batches, and vaccination centers can be easily tracked.
- More than 950 million citizens registered on CoWIN portal through online and on-site modes (scalable up to one billion plus citizens).
- Trained over 1.2 million frontline workers and health staff to use the CoWIN platform.
- More than 1.6 billion doses of vaccine administered and duly recorded on CoWIN. More than 20.5 million vaccination sessions held across the country.
- Vaccination sessions conducted across more than 470,000 centres, 73% are in rural areas.
- Vaccination coverage in hard-to-reach tribal areas better than the national average.
This project aims to:
- To expand the scope of CoWIN for digitalisation of other health programmes namely Universal Immunization Programme, RMNCH+A, Non-Communicable disease programme, National Viral Hepatits Control Programme etc.
- To offer CoWIN as a product for global good to countries who are interested in replicating similar digital interventions for management of the CoVid-19 pandemic and beyond.
- Real-time monitoring of national vaccination programme with desegregated demographic and geographic data at the national, sub-national, local, and health facility level.
- Seamless integration and roll-out of newly approved vaccines with different vaccination schedules.
- UNDP India is supporting the Government of India’s effort to support various countries including Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Vietnam and Guyana in adoption and roll-out of CoWIN in their countries.
- Technical support is also being provided to UNDP country offices of Bhutan, Bangladesh, Guyana, Myanmar, Iran, Philippines, and Nepal for adoption of the CoWIN platform in the countries.
United Nations Development Programme
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
THE GAVI ALLIANCE
UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PRO
DELIVERY IN PREVIOUS YEARS
Nagaland sets up oxygen generation plants
Three states in Northeast India buckle up to respond to COVID-19 emergency supported by the Government of Japan and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).Ox...
Meghalaya sets up oxygen generation plants
Three states in Northeast India buckle up to respond to COVID-19 emergency supported by the Government of Japan and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). O...
Government of Japan and UNDP have joined hands to boost oxygen supply in North Eastern Region in India
Oxygen Generation Plant at Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital, Agartala, Tripura10 May 2021 New Delhi: As the second wave of pandemic continues to spread in India a...