What we do
UNDP has been working in India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development - from systems and institutional strengthening to inclusive growth and sustainable livelihoods, as well as sustainable energy, environment and resilience. With projects and programmes in every state and union territory in India, UNDP works with national and subnational government, and diverse development actors to deliver people-centric results, particularly for the most vulnerable and marginalized communities. As the integrator for collective action on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) within the UN system, we are committed to support the Government of India’s national development vision and priorities and accelerate the achievement of the SDGs for the people and the planet.
UNDP India’s new Country Programme (2023-2027) builds on our prior work and aims to provide an integrated approach to development solutions in three strategic portfolios:
- Strong, accountable, and evidence-led institutions for accelerated achievement of the SDGs
- Enhanced economic opportunities and social protection to reduce inequality, with a focus on the marginalized
- Climate-smart solutions, sustainable ecosystems, and resilient development for reduced vulnerability
UNDP India's Country Programme for 2023-2027 has four major focus areas:
- Sustainable and Inclusive Growth
- Action for Climate and Environment (ACE)
- Health System Strengthening
- SDG Acceleration
South-South cooperation, gender equality and social inclusion are promoted across the pillars. The Programme is supported by a framework of renewed partnerships and blended finance solutions, strategic innovation and accelerator labs, and data and digital architecture.