Improving Vaccination Systems - eVIN
Improving efficiency of vaccination systems through operationalization of web-based vaccine management systems in all districts of select states
The Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network (eVIN) is a smartphone and cloud technology-based app that digitizes information on vaccine stocks and temperatures across the country. An initiative of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, eVIN has been developed and implemented with support from the United Nations Development Programme. The unique innovation brings together technology, people and processes to strengthen the vaccine supply and ensure vaccine availability for every mother and child in time, every time. After transforming the vaccine supply chain to encourage improved vaccination coverage, an upgraded version of eVIN has been developed with the core fundamental of sustainability. The eVIN Advance Edition is a completely open-source platform and adheres to the security protocols and best practices recommended globally and by the Government of India. Integration of an end-to-end supply chain solution initiated from the manufacturer till the vaccination session site is envisaged in eVIN AE. eVIN has been supporting continued immunization during the pandemic with uninterrupted vaccine stocks and flows and their efficient management.
● Designed and successfully implemented eVIN in all 733 districts of all 36 states and union territories of India. Over 29 thousand vaccine storage centres or cold chain points are live on eVIN and regularly use the platform to perform daily transactions with respect to vaccine and logistics management.
● Facilitated real-time monitoring of storage temperatures by installation of nearly 25,000 temperature loggers.
● Supported a vaccine availability rate of over 99% at all cold chain points.
● Achieved over 80% reduction in instances of vaccine stock-outs and ensured improved availability of adequate and potent UIP vaccines to all targeted children and pregnant women.
● Systemized processes by initiating corrective action to revise target population for cold chain points that were earlier out-of-sync, improve vaccine storage infrastructure and encourage effective planning and distribution.
● Vaccine and Cold Chain Managers (VCCMs) deputed at the district levels and eVIN project staff have been recognised and awarded by the respective district and state administration for their outstanding effort and contribution to health care in various states.
● Tracked over 100 COVID-19 materials across eight states as a part of response to COVID-19 pandemic.
● Indonesia has adopted India’s eVIN technology in 2018 as Sistem Monitoring Imunisasi Logistik secara Elektronik (SMILE) and has been successful in digitizing immunization supply chain in their country.
● As a part of South-South and Triangular Cooperation, UNDP India has supported implementation of eVIN like system in Malawi, Sudan and Afghanistan with initial steps.
- eVIN aims to continue the support to health officers and healthcare workers at the last mile with supportive supervision and maintain efficiency of the vaccine cold chain by effective use of the platform across all states/ UTs and with completion of temperature logger installation in the remaining states.
In the News
- The Immunization ‘Innovations Of Tomorrow’ Are Here Today
Huffington Post, Apr 2017
- India to help 5 South East Asian nations in strengthening their immunisation programmes
Financial Express, May 2017
- Health Ministry's mobile app eVIN wins GSMA Asia Mobile Award
Business Standard, June 2017
- Rajasthan village Nayla adopts Evin technology to combat infant mortality
The Economic Times, Nov 2017
- इविन मोबाइल एप से देश के 12 राज्यों में टीकाकरण पर नजर रख रहा है स्वास्थ्य मंत्रालय
DD News, Sep 2017
- India pledges $15 million to vaccine alliance
The Hindu, June 2020
- How technology and innovation are improving vaccine coverage in India
Hindustan Times, Feb 2018
- UN's top development official in awe of India's efforts
India Today, July 2019
- India commits to UNDP in catering to COVID-19 pandemic and beyond
ANI News, June 2020
- सुरक्षित वैक्सीन के लिए पीएचसी में लगा टेम्परेचर लॉगर
Prabhat Khabr, July 2017
United Nations Development Programme
Govt. of Chhattisgarh - IND
IND-Government of Manipur
IND-Government of Uttar Pradesh
IND-Min Health&Family Welfare
UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
DELIVERY IN PREVIOUS YEARS
Training Module for Scaling Up Social Protection for People Infected with and Affected by HIV/AIDs
One of the major challenges faced by people living with HIV and High Risk Groups is the lack of access to Social Protection benefits. Many of them belong to margi...
Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyan Assessment Report
Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan (NMBA) was launched by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MoSJE) in August 2020 focusing on preventive, mass education and...
GeoAI for Brick Kilns in Bihar: Learnings and Recommendations
Globally, an alarming nine out of ten individuals are exposed to polluted air, a crisis that adversely affects both human well-being and the environment, exacerba...