Confidence Building Early Response Mechanism (COBERM)
An apolitical, impartial and flexible programme to support confidence building initiatives within and across conflict divided communities
COBERM is an apolitical, impartial and flexible programme funded by the European Union (EU) and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). The programme supports immediate and concrete initiatives which seek to have an impact on confidence building within and across conflict divided communities. The objective of COBERM is to strengthen an enabling environment involving conflict affected communities by addressing local needs and supporting initiatives aiming to build social cohesion and confidence that foster peace and stability.
COBERM has been set up in May 2010 and has implemented three phases during 2010-2018.
Through providing grants to the local Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), COBERM supports a wide range of initiatives, including those that help improve the lives of people and living conditions of local communities affected by conflict. The main goals of COBERM are the following:
- Foster interactions and trust among the people affected by conflict and further support grassroots and civil society-driven confidence building initiatives with a high anticipated impact and potential for conflict prevention and peace.
- Provide a flexible tool to address emerging needs and build the required trust by supporting ad hoc opportunities identified through various dialogue platforms.
- Support an enabling environment for ongoing dialogue and engagement in addressing various issues of joint interest.
Throughout three phases of the COBERM programme in 2010-2018, the EU anmd UNDP have made possible the implementation of up to 200 initiatives that addressed some of the key sectors of peace- and confidence-building:
- Youth education
- People diplomacy, dialogue & policy research
- Improved livelihoods and increased resilience of vulnerable communities
- Cultural cooperation
- Ethnic minorities
- Women’s empowerment
- Healthcare and humanitarian assistance
- Community mobilization
- Capacity building of CSOs
The fourth phase of COBERM builds on the success, lessons learned and inspirations from earlier phases of the flagship EU-UNDP programme and will seek synergies with ongoing and upcoming projects of the UN, EU and other actors.
United Nations Development Programme
GOVERNMENT OF ROMANIA
DELIVERY IN PREVIOUS YEARS