Towards a low-emissions and climate-resilient economy
The EU4Climate project helps governments of the EU Eastern Partner countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus , Georgia, Republic of Moldova and Ukraine) to take action against climate change and towards a low-emissions and climate-resilient economy. Funded by the European Union and implemented by UNDP EU4Climate supports countries in implementing the Paris Agreement and improving climate policies and legislation with an ambition of limiting climate change impact on citizens’ lives and making them more resilient to it.
- An enhanced capacity of countries to develop and implement climate policy and to meet their commitments under the Paris Agreement;
- An enhanced transparency of emissions and climate action;
- Mainstreaming climate in sectoral policies, such as energy, transport and agriculture;
- Advanced implementation of climate-related provisions of bilateral agreements with the EU and in the framework of the Energy Community Treaty.
- Eastern Partnership countries are on track with the implementation of their commitments and reporting obligations under the Paris Climate Agreement and EU cooperation agreements. EaP countries are supported in the development of climate change strategies.
- Finalized nationally determined contributions, national mid-century strategies and NAPs are communicated to the UNFCCC; 4 updated NDCs and 2 NDC implementation plans developed.
- Mid-century, long-term low greenhouse gas emission development strategies (LEDS) for 3 countries and Robust domestic emissions Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) frameworks are developed in 4 countries with guidance/training materials for the private sector on MRV.
- EaP countries are on track with the regulatory reform to align with the EU legal acquis on climate with references to the specific laws added in the roadmaps with 10 sectoral climate change mainstreaming policy papers/recommendations developed with sectoral guidelines for the implementation of the Paris agreement.
- Project supports new climate finance resources mobilisation for financial frameworks to support NDC implementation plans, LEDS, NAPs. Project supports 3 national pilots implementing climate budget tagging.
- Project supports the development of the National Adaptation Strategy for Ukraine, to be further enhanced by establishing NAP roadmaps, institutional and coordination frameworks
United Nations Development Programme
DELIVERY IN PREVIOUS YEARS
for sectoral climate change mainstreaming were developed with guidelines for the implementation of the Paris agreement.
are supported in the development of climate change strategies.
pilots are implemented for climate budget tagging.