Global Programme on Environment and Climate Change
The Global Programme on Environment and Climate Change programme is a strategic partnership between the Government of Sweden and the UNDP to strengthen their work in the environment and climate change. This programme supports the broader efforts of UNDP to eradicate poverty and accelerate progress on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar, Cambodia, Haiti, Colombia, Uganda, Ethiopia and Fiji. It is grounded in the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), Paris Agreement, Addis Ababa Action Agenda, emerging post-2020 global Biodiversity Framework, and the challenges and opportunities around the COVID-19 pandemic response. It focuses on scaling up climate action (SDG 13) while accelerating sustainable management of ecosystems, biodiversity, natural capital, water & ocean governance and food systems nexus in the aforementioned countries. This initiative supports UNDP's transition toward an integrated programming approach and innovative climate finance solutions across the Nature, Climate and Energy Portfolio of the UNDP.
AREAS OF WORK
- Sustainable management and use of ecosystems, biodiversity, and natural capital;
- Sustainable water and ocean governance;
- Scaling up climate action for Sustainable Development;
- Sustainable Food Systems nexus;
- Synergy across cross-cutting themes on gender equality and women’s empowerment, conflict sensitivity and finance.
- A new sustainable business model for mud crab cultivation introduced through enhanced capabilities and participation of public and private sector entities to implement low-carbon gender-responsive adaptation actions in line with Bangladesh's revised NDC;
- Gender concerns integrated and mainstreamed across Nature, Climate, and Energy portfolio;
- Strengthen greater learning, knowledge management and communications related to integrated programming approaches/solutions;
- Internal capacities strengthened for improved coordination across the Nature, Climate, Energy portfolio and Country Office programme for strengthened, integrated programming;
- Social and environmental standards implemented across the Country Office programme.
- To strengthen Bangladesh’s eorts to achieve integrated, climate-resilient, sustainable and equitable management of marine resources in highly climate-vulnerable coastal areas;
- To provide nature-based solutions to food, water and livelihood security of climate-vulnerable people, including women and children and protect biodiversity and freshwater resources.
United Nations Development Programme
Digicel Samoa Limited
MPTF-One Planet MPTF
MPTFO-Global Fund for Coral Reefs
MPTFO-JP Financing a Green, Inclusive and Sustainable Recovery
SWEDISH INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT COOPERATION (SIDA)
USAID for non-LOC agreement
DELIVERY IN PREVIOUS YEARS