Strengthening Electoral and Legislative Processes
The Strengthening Electoral and Legislative Processes (SELP) Project seeks to develop more inclusive, and accountable democratic institutions, systems
The Project is structured around two key strands: Electoral Cycle Support to the Election Commission of Pakistan and Strengthening Legislative Institutions.
- Supported the creation and implementation of the ECP and NADRA’s ‘Women’s National Identity Card (NIC) and Voter Registration Campaign’, which has contributed to the addition of over nine million women added to the electoral roll since its launch in late 2017.
- Supported the drafting of elections rules under the Punjab Local Government Act 2019.
- ·Technical assistance to the boundary delimitation processes in Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provinces.
- Contributed to the development of ECP’s 3rd Five-Year Strategic Plan (2019-2023).
- ·Supported the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and ECP in holding the historic first provincial elections in the Merged Areas.
- Supported the development of ECP’s Annual Reports 2018, 2019, and 2020 and 2021.
- Support to the training and preparations for the Senate elections.
- In efforts to institutionalize the standardization of results management, SELP supported the development and implementation of the Results Management System in General Elections 2018 to improve accuracy and transparency.
- Designed and established a Geographic Information System polling scheme by mapping over 80,000 polling stations nationwide.
- Developed a training curriculum, handbooks and video for the training of over 800,000 election officials for General Elections 2018.
- Trained over 493,000 polling staff in Punjab, Islamabad, and Balochistan for General Elections 2018.
- Supported ECP in conducting a comprehensive Post-Election Review of General Elections 2018 - highlighting challenges and providing recommendations for electoral reforms.
- Supported the ECP to devise SOPs and materials for the safe conduct of elections during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Supported the Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assemblies to strengthen their committee systems and build effective oversight mechanisms including support to Women’s Parliamentary Caucuses, SDG Task Forces and Parliamentary Committees.
- Improved the preparedness of partner legislatures in effectively performing their role during a crisis such as the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Increased the engagement of Standing Committees of Provincial Assemblies of Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on their oversight role in a time of crisis
- Assisted the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly to compile a comprehensive parliamentary reforms package, with an aim to update the Procedures and Conduct of Business Rules of the Assembly.
- Supported capacity building of legislative staff on the use of technology to hold virtual assembly sessions and committee meetings.
- Through various public information initiatives, with some reaching the public more than once through different means – the project has reached over 247 million individuals.
- Increased civic knowledge of over 500,000 citizens through our United Nations Civic and Voter Education Youth Volunteers program.
- ·Supported the PEC/LG department Punjab in drafting LGE legal framework at the provincial level
- Supported the material development and quality assurance for the capacity building of election officials for the conduct of LGEs ICT, Cantonment, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and the Senate elections.
- Contributed to the capacity building of 215 (182 men, 33 women) ECP officers for the conduct of local government and senate elections
- Supported the ECP to devise structure and scope of a Federal Election Academy (FEA) to be utilized as a capacity development and training platform for election officials.
- Provided technical assistance to the launch of Phase IV of the joint ECP-NADRA Women’s NIC and Voter Registration Campaign and supported to develop the Campaign continuation document and outreach material.
- Supported the ECP’s media briefing to disseminate information to the public on its pilot project survey report on women registration issues.
- Carry out information dialogues/ seminars/ meetings on electoral reforms with stakeholders
- Support the process of development of training monitoring and evaluation plan for Federal Election Academy
- Support the process of development of ECP communication and public outreach strategy
- Technical assistance to the development and quality assurance of training curriculum and support to ECP/Federal Election Academy to conduct of upper tier for LG elections in KP
- Support the preparation and conduct of local government elections in all four provinces.
- Ongoing engagement of stakeholders to increase inclusion of women, youth and marginalized groups in electoral processes.
Download the PROJECT BRIEF
United Nations Development Programme
Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID)
DEPARTMENT FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (DFID)
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
GOVERNMENT OF JAPAN
GOVERNMENT OF NORWAY
SWISS AGENCY FOR DEVELOPMENT AND COOPERATION - SDC
UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PRO
UNITED STATES AGENCY FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (USAID)
DELIVERY IN PREVIOUS YEARS