UNDP and the UN in North Macedonia
UNDP and the UN
The United Nations supports the overarching national priority of EU accession through three areas: Social Inclusion, Environmental Protection, Local Governance and Territorial Development. Other themes that run through all the UN’s work include human rights, creation of inter-ethnic cohesion, gender equality, and improved aid coordination.
How we work
The United Nations’ operational activities are carried out at the request and in accordance with the policies and priorities of Government.
The United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) outlines the UN work in the country.
The UN organizations present in the country work together through the United Nations Country Team. Where possible, the Country Team jointly implements projects to improve coherence, sustainability, effectiveness and efficiency in development results. At the moment, the Team is implementing two programmes jointly: Enhancing Inter-ethnic Dialogue and Preventing Domestic Violence.
The UNCT is chaired by the UN Resident Coordinator. The Resident Coordinator is the designated representative of the UN Secretary General for development operations. The Resident Coordinator through the UN Country Team brings together all organizations of the United Nations system dealing with operational activities for development, regardless of their formal presence in the country, to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of UN operational activities in the country.
The United Nations engages with a wide array of Government, non-Government and international partners and the private sector.
UN agencies in the country
- UN in the country
- United Nations Development Programme - UNDP
- UN Population Fund - UNFPA
- UN High Commissioner for Refugees - UNHCR
- United Nations Children's Fund - UNICEF
- International Labor Organization - ILO
- International Organization for Migration - IOM
- World Health Organization - WHO
- United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women - UN Women
- UN Office of Drugs and Crime - UNODC
- United Nations Environment Programme - UNEP
- Food and Agriculture Organization - FAO
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization - UNIDO
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- United Nations Economic Commission for Europe - UNECE
- United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR)
In addition, the Bretton Woods Institutions, the World Bank and International Monetary Fund, have offices in the country.