Municipal elections 2023: Held New Draw for Fixing Positions on the Ballot Paper and Airtime on Public Broadcasters
September 2, 2023
TODAY afternoon in Maputo, the National Electoral Commission (CNE) held a new draw for fixing the order of the lists on the ballot paper and the distribution of airtime on public broadcasting media (TVM and Rádio Moçambique) during the election campaign, in the presence of 22 national representatives of political parties, coalitions of political parties, groups of voting citizens and the media.
This new draw follows the decision of the Constitutional Council, which in Ruling 11/CC/2023, of 30 August, determined the National Electoral Commission to receive the candidacy of the Partido Revolução Democrática (RD) within 48 hours and, as a result, to hold a new draw to determine the order on the ballot papers and the airtime on the public radio and visual broadcasting services.
According to the result of the NEW DRAW, the candidates will be presented on the ballot paper in the following order:
01. Movimento Democrático de Moçambique (MDM)
02. Resistência Nacional Moçambicana (Renamo)
03. Frente de Libertação de Moçambique (Frelimo)
04. Coligação União Eleitoral (UE)
05. Associação Nacional de Assistência a Jovens Delinquentes (ANAJD)
06. Associação para o Desenvolvimento da Criança e Jovem da Comunidade (ACRIAJUDA)
07. Coligação Aliança Democrática (CAD)
08. Associação Cidadãos de Moçambique (Cidadãos)
09. Coligação Esperança do Povo
10. Partido do Progresso do Povo de Moçambique (PPPM)
11. Partido para o Desenvolvimento de Moçambique (PDM)
12. Partido Movimento Nova Democracia (ND)
13. Associação Olompa (ASO)
14. Partido Humanitário de Moçambique (PAHUMO)
15. Associação de Amigos de Amurane para Moçambique Melhor (KOXUKHURO)
16. Associação dos Naturais e Amigos de Mocimboa da Praia (UMOJA)
17. Associação dos Trabalhadores Informais de Moçambique (ASTIMO)
18. Acção de Movimento Unido para a Salvação Integral (AMUSI)
19. Partido dos Verdes de Moçambique (PVM)
20. Movimento de Reconciliação de Moçambique (MRM)
21. Associação de Deficientes de Moçambique (ADEMO)
22. Partido Revolução Democrática (RD)
In accordance with the legislation, the lists of the political parties, coalitions of political parties and groups of proposing citizens who are running for all the local councils (Movimento Democrático de Moçambique, Resistência Nacional Moçambicana and Frente de Libertação de Moçambique) are drawn first. The remaining political parties, coalitions of political parties and groups of proposing citizens occupy the ballot paper from the fourth position onwards.
The results of this draw to determine the order of the lists on the ballot paper and the distribution of airtime on the public broadcasters (TVM and Rádio Moçambique) during the election campaign will be sent to the Technical Secretariat for Electoral Administration (STAE) for the production of ballot papers.
The organisation of the airtime programme during the election campaign by the candidates is the responsibility of the respective media outlet, based on:
a) The airtime distribution map resulting from the draw provided for in this resolution; and
b) The approved Airtime Regulations.
Notes to editors:
- UNDP works in 170 countries and territories with the aim of eradicating poverty and reducing inequality. We help countries develop policies, leadership skills, partnerships, institutional capacities and build resilience to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. Our work focuses on three main areas: sustainable development, democratic governance and peacebuilding, and resilience to climate change and disasters.
- UNDP's mission and vision: UNDP's mandate is to eradicate poverty, promote democratic governance, the rule of law and inclusive institutions. We advocate for change and connect countries with the knowledge, experience and resources needed to help people build a better life.
About the project:
- Since the first multiparty elections, UNDP has worked closely with Mozambique's electoral and justice bodies, contributing to the consolidation of peace, transparency and effectiveness of electoral processes. Through its Strategic Plan, UNDP underlines the importance of consolidating and strengthening democratic processes and institutional practice in Mozambique. Fundamental to these objectives is the involvement of citizens as key stakeholders in the governance and administration of Mozambique, with the aim of achieving full adherence to the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
- "Strengthening Democracy and Electoral Processes in Mozambique" is a four-year UNDP project designed to strengthen the democratic and electoral system in Mozambique and builds on previous electoral support and lessons learned as the country enters its electoral cycle, including the run-up to the 2023 Local Elections and the 2024 General Elections.
The UNDP Democracy and Elections project is developed based on the formal request of the Government of Mozambique, the recommendation of the Needs Assessment Mission (NAM) conducted by the United Nations in April 2021, the reports of international election observers on the 2019 elections and is aligned with the UNDP Country Programme Document (PCD) and the Government of Mozambique's Five-Year Plan 2020-2024 (Government Five-Year Programme, PQG).
For more information:
Andres Castillo. Tel +258 850751959, email@example.com - CTA, Democracy and Elections Project
Rochan Kadariya. Tel. +258 842776492, firstname.lastname@example.org – Digital Electoral Solutions Specialist
Mateus Fotine. Tel. +258 879880203, email@example.com - Information and External Relations Officer
Municipal elections 2023: STAE legal officers trained in electoral litigation, complaints and appeals
Nearly 20 Legal Officers from the Technical Secretariat for Electoral Administration (STAE), allocated to the Legal Departments of all the country's provinces, a...
Eleições Autárquicas 2023: STAE capacita mulheres jornalistas e de formações políticas em matéria de cobertura eleitoral
Perto de 40 mulheres jornalistas e de partidos políticos, coligações de partidos políticos e grupos de cidadãos eleitores proponentes, oriundas de todo o País, es...