Support to Law Enforcement Reform in Moldova
|Duration:||2019 – 2022|
|Beneficiaries:||Ministry of Internal Affairs, Joint Law Enforcement Training Centre, General Police Inspectorate, Police Forensic Centre, other subdivisions of the Ministry of Internal Affairs|
|Focus Area:||Effective Governance|
|Partners:||Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA), General Police Inspectorate (GPI)|
|Project Document:||Support to Law Enforcement Reform in Moldova|
|See more information about the project on the transparency portal.|
The comprehensive character of Police reform involves systemic changes and interventions at different levels and in various areas: legislative, institutional, operational, professional, community, individual, etc. Responding to this challenge, the Project will shift from policy formulation to practical implementation of priorities defined in the national strategic documents, seeking to further strengthen institutional and professional capacities of MIA and Police units and provide technical assistance in specific areas of intervention that are equally important for the steady progress of the law enforcement reform. These refer to better internal communication capacities of Police, modernized Police/internal affairs human resources system (including recruiting and hiring in gender and diversity sensitive way), enhanced capacities of MIA and GPI for coordination and implementation of Police Development Strategy, strengthened professional training capacities of the Police system, further improved forensic capabilities and support in implementation of community policing concept.
- Assist the MIA and GPI in developing an accountable, efficient, representative, transparent and professional law enforcement system, closer to the best international practices.
- MIA’s Recruiting and Evaluation Centre (REC) is established and operational, using renovated and equipped infrastructure and modernized processes;
- Feasibility study on Police intranet system developed;
- Two police stations remodeled and operational in line with the concept of community-based policing and up to 20 police staff from the targeted communities trained on community policing tactics;
- 20 police officers from four regions equipped and trained to perform police bike patrol duties;
- Feasibility Study on the creation of a MIA’s unified canine (K9) centre completed;
- MIA/GPI capacity to implement reforms in priority areas enhanced by providing high quality technical support and expertise;
- Police Forensic Centre (PFC) successfully obtained ISO 17025 accreditation in the area of narcotic drugs examination, two police forensic experts trained and equipped to perform forensic video and audio examinations. 25 forensic specialists trained to perform DNA investigations.
- Reconstruction of the MIA’s REC completed;
- The Joint Law Enforcement Training Centre provided with modern equipment and gear for conducting high-quality physical and tactical training and developing practical skills required for an efficient and modern policing activity;
- Feasibility study on Police Intranet system developed and approved by the beneficiary;
- Two community police stations (Cahul and Egorovca/Falesti) renovated in line with the community policing concept. 27 police staff (24 men and 4 women) trained on community policing tactics;
- 20 new police officers (1 woman and 19 men) equipped and trained to perform police bike patrolling duties in Anenii-Noi, Edinet, Orhei, Ungheni districts;
- Feasibility study on establishing the MIA’s K9 Centre conducted;
- MIA/GPI capacity to implement reforms in priority areas enhanced by providing high quality technical assistance and expertise;
- PFC equipped with knowledge and skills and modern software solutions for forensic audio and video examinations;
- PFC has successfully obtained ISO 17025 accreditation in the area of narcotic drugs examination. 22 forensic specialists (18 men and 4 women) trained to perform DNA investigations.
- Investigative capacities of the PFC by providing specialized laboratory equipment for physic-chemical examination of corpus delicti enhanced.