Strengthening Local Climate Action Project
The project supports Kosovo municipalities in their transition towards zero emission development pathways by building on the results of the successful project “Urban NAMAs” in Prizren and extending it to sustainable rural development and the Municipality of Suharekë/Suva Reka.
Goals (What do we want to achieve).
The goal is to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and contribute to carbon neutral development through an integrated and gender-sensitive approach of supporting informed decision-making through data, with increased focus on rural areas, the dynamics between rural and urban areas, social innovation and stakeholder platforms, food systems and financing to enable a green recovery from COVID-19.
The project intends to achieve the following four outputs:
1. Strengthened local capacities to set ambitious and achievable GHG reduction targets and take gender-responsive climate action.
2. Effective implementation of cross-sectoral and gender-responsive mitigation actions in the rural and urban areas of the municipalities of Prizren and Suharekë/Suva Reka and contributing to the reduction of GHG emissions.
3. Green transition and shift to sustainable development pathways advanced at municipal level through promotion of innovative financing
4. Transition towards more sustainable food systems accelerated in the municipalities of Prizren and Suharekë/Suva Reka utilizing women-led initiatives.
· Strengthen Municipal Green Growth Center capacities to perform environmental audits, climate-related priorities and identify and prioritize mitigation actions for both the urban and rural area in Prizren municipality.
· Establish Municipal Green Growth Center and empower local authorities to articulate the climate-related priorities and identify and prioritize mitigation actions for both the urban and rural area in Suharekë/Suva Reka Municipality.
· Upgrade GHG emission inventory of Prizren Municipality.
· Create the GHG emission inventory of Suharekë/Suva Reka municipality.
· Development of municipal green policies in line with the Municipal Zoning Map, the Climate Change Cross-Sectoral Intervention Plan (CSIP), and the Municipal Rural Development Plan
· Pilot new green smart solutions to reduce GHG emissions
· Enhance knowledge in the areas of environment, climate change and rural development for young women and men
· Support potentials and the use of financial Public-Private Partnership (PPP) for climate action and green growth
· Capacity building of municipal officials to attract and implement bankable local projects
· Pilot other financing mechanisms for green investments
· Create a road map on the potentials for local sustainable food systems
· Pilot initiatives to reuse food waste in the private sector
· Build consumer awareness among women and men on sustainable food production and consumption
|Where?||Prizren Municipality, Suharekë/Suva Reka Municipality|
|Beneficiaries||Prizren Municipality, Suharekë/Suva Reka Municipality, Ministry of Environment, Spatial Planning, and Infrastructure, Ministry of Economy|
|Partners||Ministry of Environment, Spatial Planning and Infrastructure Ministry of Economic Development, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Prizren Municipality, Suharekë/Suva Reka Municipality, CSOs, Private Sector,|
|Duration:||November 2021 – October 2024|
|Project Budget:||EUR 1,150,000|
|Donors:||Austrian Development Agency (ADA), Prizren Municipality , Suharekë/Suvareka Municipality|
Inclusive Growth and Climate Resilience
Phone: +383 (0) 38 249 066 (Ext. 311)
Mob: +383 49 117 575
MESPI, UNDP, and UNICEF mark Earth Day by planting vertical gardens with school children
This was the first in a series of activities, under the umbrella of Kosovo Earth Days...
Municipalities of Prizren and Suharekë/Suva Reka partner with UNDP and ADA to strengthen local climate action
The launch took place at the Innovation and Training Park (ITP) in Prizren...
Japan to support climate action in Kosovo through the Climate Promise project
In Kosovo, the project aims to provide an urgent, integrated solutions to recover from the COVID-19 crisis by...
Government Building lit with the Dino figure with the message: Don’t Choose Extinction
"We are projecting the Dino in Pristina to mark the end of the global climate summit, COP26...."