UNDP's Social and Environmental Standards
UNDP’s Social and Environmental Standards (SES) came into effect January 1, 2015. They are currently being revised and are shared for comment until May 31, 2019. Please visit our feedback page for more information.
UNDP’s Social and Environmental Standards (SES) underpin UNDP’s commitment to mainstream social and environmental sustainability in its Programmes and Projects to support sustainable development.
The SES strengthen UNDP’s efforts to attain socially and environmentally beneficial development outcomes and present an integrated framework for achieving a consistent level of quality in UNDP’s programming.
The objectives of the SES are to:
- Strengthen the social and environmental outcomes of UNDP Programmes and Projects
- Avoid adverse impacts to people and the environment
- Minimize, mitigate, and manage adverse impacts where avoidance is not possible
- Strengthen UNDP and partner capacities for managing social and environmental risks
- Ensure full and effective stakeholder engagement, including through a mechanism to respond to complaints from project-affected people