Call for Project Concepts - Global Environment Facility (GEF) - Small Grants Programme (SGP): Operational Phase 7
September 12, 2022
The Global Environment Facility (GEF), Small Grants Programme (SGP) implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Zambia is inviting eligible local communities, Community Based Organizations (CBOs) and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) mostly in vulnerable and remote areas to submit innovative and relevant project ideas for initiatives that conserve and restore the environment while enhancing people’s livelihoods and wellbeing.
The GEF-SGP believes that global environment problems can be addressed effectively if local people are involved in decision-making process at all levels within projects and have control over resources. It has demonstrated that with a small amount of funding, communities at the grassroot level can make a significant difference in their livelihoods and the environment. To this end, the GEF-SGP fund, under 7th operational phase (OP7) is now available. The SGP Zambia, hereby invites eligible organizations to submit their project concept papers.
The concept papers should meet at least one criterion under the following GEF SGP thematic areas:
- Biodiversity Conservation,
- Protection of International Water,
- Prevention of Land Degradation
- Sustainable Forest Management,
- Climate Change,
- Reduction of the Impact of Chemicals.
The concept paper should refer to the OP7 Strategic priorities in the Zambia Country Programme Strategy Document.
Project Duration: The duration of the proposed projects should not exceed 24 months.
- Should be locally registered NGOs/CBOs/CSOs, etc. Applicants who fail to provide a copy of the certificate of registration will not be considered for evaluation,
- Have at least three years of relevant experience and proven records of working with communities,
- Demonstrate strong community involvement in the planned or proposed project,
- Have a local registered bank account,
- Must have a strong organizational capacity (legal status, governance, managerial capacity, administrative capacity, financial capacity, and technical capacity) to implement SGP grant projects and meet SGP requirements.
Budget: Grant amount will range from $5,000 to $50,000. Please note, $50,000 will be considered in exceptional cases. The implementation capacity of the organization and the idea being proposed will be taken into account when approving the grant amount.
We highly encourage less experienced communities and community organisations with a relevant and innovative ideas to take part in SGP activities. We recommend that the less experienced be assisted by a local or national NGO/CSO, who will play a key role as mentors and partners. In such a case, a letter of intent should be submitted as an annex of the concept paper.
Submission of Concepts: Project Concepts must be submitted directly to Marisa Mushota, the National Coordinator for the GEF Small Grants Programme in UNDP Zambia, email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 29th September 2022, 5:00pm.
For more information, click the links below: