UNDP and the UN
UNDP works for a better world
UNDP is the UN's global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life.
UNDP works in about 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
This is a critical time for the world. At UNDP, we see this period as a huge opportunity to advance the global sustainable development agenda. In September 2015, world leaders adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity. UNDP is working to strengthen new frameworks for development, disaster risk reduction and climate change. We support countries' efforts to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, or Global Goals, which will guide global development priorities through 2030.
UNDP's Strategic Plan (2018-2021) has been designed to be responsive to the wide diversity of the countries we serve. The diversity is reflected in three broad development contexts:
- Eradicate poverty in all its forms and dimensions
- Accelerate structural transformations
- Build resilience to shocks and crises
To respond to these issues, and better focus its resources and expertise to deliver on the 2030 Agenda, UNDP has identified a set of approaches that we call our Signature Solutions:
- Keeping people out of POVERTY
- GOVERNANCE for peaceful, just, and inclusive societies
- Crisis prevention and increased RESILIENCE
- ENVIRONMENT: nature-based solutions for development
- Clean, affordable ENERGY
- Women's empowerment and GENDER equality
In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights and the empowerment of women, minorities and the poorest and most vulnerable.
The annual Human Development Report, commissioned by UNDP, focuses the global debate on key development issues, providing new measurement tools, innovative analysis and often controversial policy proposals. The global Report's analytical framework and inclusive approach carry over into regional, national and local Human Development Reports, also supported by UNDP.
For more information, please visit: http://www.undp.org
UNDP and the United Nations System
The United Nations presence in Türkiye is coordinated through the Resident Coordinator system. This system brings together the different UN agencies to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of their operations at the country level. The Resident Coordinator’s Office supports the work of the UN Resident Coordinator and coordinates activities of the UN Country Team in its engagement with the Government as defined by the UN Development Cooperation Strategy (UNDCS).
Türkiye is currently implementing UNDCS 2016 – 2020, which is the medium-term results framework that describes the response of the UN system to national development priorities. UNDCS describes how the UN country team will contribute to the achievement of development results based on a common country analysis and the UN comparative advantage.
The Resident Coordinator is leading and strategically positioning the United Nations country team in Türkiye to respond to the current national priorities. The Office has five core functions:
- Strategic Planning
- Partnerships and development finance
- Data and results management and reporting
- Communications and advocacy
UN agencies officially represented in Türkiye: FAO, ILO, IOM, UN Women, UNDP, UNDSS, UNFPA, UNHCR, UNIC, UNICEF, UNIDO, UN Volunteers, UNOCHA, WFP and WHO.
UNDP remains committed to working even more closely with partners across the UN system.
UN agencies in the country
- United Nations in Türkiye
- FAO – Food and Agricultural Fund of the United Nations in Türkiye
- ILO – International Labour Organization in Türkiye
- IOM – International Organization of Migration in Türkiye
- UN Women – United Nations Women in Türkiye
- UNDP – United Nations Development Programme in Türkiye
- UNDSS - United Nations Department of Safety and Security
- UNFPA – United Nations Population Fund in Türkiye
- UNHCR – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Türkiye
- UNIC – United Nations Information Centre in Türkiye
- UNICEF – United Nations Children’s Fund in Türkiye
- UNIDO – United Nations Industrial Development Organization in Türkiye
- UN Volunteers – United Nations Volunteers in Türkiye
- UNOCHA – United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Türkiye
- WFP – United Nations World Food Programme in Türkiye
- WHO – World Health Organization in Türkiye