The next frontier: Human Development and the Anthropocene
Human Development Report 2020
December 7, 2020
The Human Development Report (HDR) 2020 "The Next Frontier: Human Development and the Anthropocene" aims to rebalance the relationship between humanity and nature, and improve people’s lives permanently.
In the new geological era called Anthropocene, humans are shaping the planet on purpose. In this new era, how will the human development change? How do we find a new path: one that expands human freedoms, choice and agency while erasing planetary pressures?
The report will focus on these questions, while offering metrics and data to demonstrate that the recovery from the unprecedented pandemic can be environmentally and socially sustainable.
We are pleased to invite you to the HDR 2020 Turkey Launch Event that we will organize online in partnership with Habitat Association, INGEV Foundation and The Economic Policy Research Foundation of Turkey (TEPAV), on Wednesday, 16 December 2020 at 16:00.
16 December 2020
16:00 TRT (GMT+3)
16.00 - 16.05 Opening
- Master of Ceremony: Ayşe Süberker, TRT World Presenter
16.05 - 16.20 Keynote Speakers
- Staffan Herrström, Ambassador of Sweden to Turkey
- Alvaro Rodriguez, Officer in Charge for UN in Turkey (Video message)
- Mirjana Spoljaric-Egger, Assistant Administrator of UNDP, and Director of the UNDP Regional Bureau for Europe and the CIS (Video message)
- Akif Özkaldı, Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Forestry, Republic of Turkey
16.20 - 16.35 HDR 2020 Report Presentation
- Claudio Tomasi, UNDP Turkey Resident Representative
16:35 - 16:40 Video Message from our Ambassadors
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Actor and UNDP Goodwill Ambassador
- Yemi Alade, Singer-songwriter and UNDP Goodwill Ambassador
- Şahika Ercümen, Free-diver and UNDP Turkey Life Below Water Advocate
- Samina Balg, High-altitude Mountaineer, UNDP National Goodwill Ambassador for Pakistan
- Michael Haddad, Endurance athlete and UNDP Goodwill Ambassador for Arab States
16.40 - 17.00 PANEL - Human Development in the Anthropocene
- Moderator: Hatice Dinç, Natural Resources and Biodiversity Cluster Lead at UNDP Turkey
- Prof Meryem Beklioğlu, METU Department of Biological Sciences, Head of the METU Ecosystem Implementation and Research Center
- Prof Levent Kurnaz, Director of the Center for Climate Change and Policy Studies at Boğaziçi University
17.00 - 17.20 PANEL - "What is it for us?": Views of partners on the reflections of the HDR 2020 to Turkey
- Moderator: Seher Alacacı Arıner, Assistant Resident Representative (Programme), UNDP Turkey
- Vural Çakır, President of İNGEV
- Sezai Hazır, President of Habitat Association
- Prof Güven Sak, Managing Director of TEPAV
- Ebru Dildar Edin, Chair of Turkish Business Council for Sustainable Development (BCSD Turkey), Executive VP of Garanti Bank
17.20 - 17.30 Q&A Section and Closing
To join the event on Zoom, please register here.
The event can be followed live on UNDP Turkey Youtube channel.
Turkish and English simultaneous translation will be provided.
2022 Human Development Report
We live in a world of worry. The ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, which has driven reversals in human development in almost every country and continues to spin off vari...
New UNDP report issues urgent call for solidarity to halt global reversal in development gains
Development and Humanitarian Community Came Together in the Meeting “Human Mobility in the Anthropocene” held by UNDP Turkey
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Turkey Office brought together experts in the field of development, sustainability, humanitarian support and socia...
2020 Human Development Report
Hidden in the long shadow of Covid-19, 2020 has been a dark year. Scientists have been forewarning a pandemic like this for years, pointing to the rise in zoonoti...