Business and Human Rights
What we do
- Support the development of National Action Plans and similar policy or normative instruments on business and human rights to promote responsible business practices and corporate accountability.
- Convene stakeholders to facilitate regional peer learning, South-South exchange, and capacity building on the UNGPs, including by organizing regional forums on business and human rights.
- Engage with companies to ensure respect for human rights throughout supply chains, including offering human rights due diligence training and closed-door guidance sessions.
- Develop guides and toolkits to support businesses in managing human rights risks, including heightened risks and impacts in conflict-affected areas.
- Support the conduct of national and regional baseline assessments and supply chain analyses.
- Promote gender considerations in business operations to strengthen respect for rights of women and non-binary people.
- Promote access to remedy to ensure rights-based solutions and prevent future human rights abuses.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing to foster action addressing the adverse role of business operations on the environment, climate, and human rights.
Registration now open for the 4th UN South Asia Forum on Business and Human Rights
This year, the Forum will bring attention to the workers fueling development in Asia and the role that States and businesses must play to protect and respect workers' rights
Promoting access to remedy for human rights defenders
A new toolkit for human rights defenders brings together information on how to access remedy in seven countries in Asia
More than 400 companies engaged through B+HR Academy
Companies, including leading Japanese multinationals, have shown a strong interest in human rights due diligence training under the B+HR Academy
Environment and the business and human rights agenda
The latest Asia in Focus series looks at the nexus between business and human rights and biodiversity, climate change, and the environment
Where we work
UNDP currently has field programming on business and human rights in 28 countries in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Europe and Central Asia, and Latin America and the Caribbean.Learn more
Snapshots from the field
From consultations on national action plans on business and human rights to human rights due diligence training for businesses, B+HR global is working in partnership with governments, businesses, and civil society around the globe to promote business and human rights.
Learn more about business and human rights activities happening on the ground.
Climate change and the business and human rights agenda
Asia is at the centre of the wider challenge presented by climate change. This Briefing Note outlines what governments and businesses in Asia must do to tackle climate change, from a Business and Human Rights perspective. The Briefing Note provides quick and initial findings and recommendations of a much larger report to come.
A Baseline Assessment on Business and Human Rights in Africa
This report takes stock of the progress and challenges in implementing the UNGPs in sub-Saharan Africa. The findings indicate reasons for optimism, as some States have initiated the development of comprehensive policies to address corporate abuses, albeit slower than in other regions. The good news is that the UNGPs are becoming better known in the region. Therefore, States, the AU and civil society must receive more support to hold corporations accountable for human rights violations through the strategic entry points identified in the report’s conclusion.
Reflections and Directions: Business and Human Rights in Asia
This report surveys the status of business and human rights (BHR) across Asia, bringing together different visions and identifying opportunities for the decade ahead. It presents an overview of the status of BHR in Asia and focuses particularly (but not exclusively) on 11 countries demonstrating some progress on BHR namely Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Viet Nam.
Asia in Focus: Clean Air and the Business and Human Rights Agenda
Read the report for an overview of the current state of air pollution in the region and makes recommendations for policy action, taking inspiration from the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights.
UNDP launches guide for businesses operating in conflict-affected areas
Read the UNDP guide for businesses and other actors on how to meet their responsibilities to carry out heightened human rights due diligence in conflict-affected areas.