Climate Promise - II
Pakistan presently faces serious development challenges due to the worsening state of the environment, increasing pressure on natural resources and climate change. As per the German watch Global Climate Risk Index, Pakistan ranks 8th most vulnerable country to the impacts of climate change. The annual mean temperature has increased by 0.5°C, over the last five decades, with changes in the pattern of precipitation, an increase in glacial melting and rising of temperatures. Moreover, Pakistan’s economy remains highly vulnerable to likely future threats posed by climate change and multi-sectoral and holistic mitigation measures are required to be accorded high priority to mitigate these threats.
The Climate Promise initiative aims to improve the cooperation and resilience of local and regional stakeholders to the threats and risks posed by climate change. The project aims to provide support to the Government of Pakistan and its partners in the field of environmental sustainability and increased resilience to climate change at national and sub-national levels. The project will provide technical assistance to government counterparts for the effective implementation of Climate Change policies, Nationally Determined Contributions, and compliance with international conventions and will also contribute to enhancing the resilience of institutions and communities through the implementation of various initiatives.
- This project supports the government to achieve the NDC targets as well as mobilize resources for effective implementation through continuous capacity enhancement at various levels (Federal, Provincial and Local).
- Provincial departments will be developing NDC implementation plans at provincial levels and identifying key priority actions to achieve NDC targets.
- Climate Promise will be facilitating in development of a Climate Change Policy for Balochistan and an Environment policy for Gilgit Baltistan.
- This project will support the government in the formulation of various MRV guidelines, emissions reduction strategies, project proposals for the provincial governments, Climate Finance initiatives and various field interventions in biodiversity conservation and waste management sectors.
- Green skill development programmes and green career launchpads will also be initiated to provide a platform to women, youth, PWDs, and vulnerable groups.
Some of the expected results include:
- Policies/guidelines/strategies/frameworks for effective implementation of Nationally Determined Contributions at the national and Provincial level
- Reach-out to persons from vulnerable and marginalized groups including women, PWDs, Religious minorities, youth and transgender through skill development training programmes on green jobs.
- Establish business centers/career launchpads at a local and academic levels to promote green careers
- Knowledge products/technologies like animations, reports and workshops developed and displayed.
Download the PROJECT BRIEF
United Nations Development Programme
ENI PAKISTAN LIMITED
FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORGANIZATION OF THE UNITED NATIONS
GOVERNMENT OF ITALY
GOVERNMENT OF JAPAN
GOVERNMENT OF NETHERLANDS
GOVERNMENT OF PAKISTAN
Global Water Challenge
MPTFO JP Pakistan One Fund (PK100)
SHELL PAKISTAN LIMITED
UNDP Funding Windows
UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PRO
DELIVERY IN PREVIOUS YEARS