UNDP and the UN
UNDP and the UN
In Nigeria, UNDP provides support to the Resident Coordinator System (RCS). The RC System works towards the goal of having all members of the UN System deliver as ‘One’.
UNDP plays an active role within the UN Country Team (UNCT) on programme issues through its chairmanship of the Programme Management Team (PMT). The PMT is the organ of the UN system in Nigeria for planning and monitoring development policy and programmatic collaboration across resident and non-resident agencies. The PMT represents a key instrument of the UNCT – together with the Operations Management Team (OMT) – in advancing the strategic goal of delivering as ‘One’ in Nigeria. It has functions in five broadly-defined areas: policy analysis and advocacy; programming; networking and partnerships; strengthening of internal collaboration mechanisms within the Country Team; and monitoring, evaluation and learning.
UN Common Services/Premises
UNDP through the UN Operations Management Team (UNOMT) manages the UN House and related Common Services under the guidance of UNCT. The UNOMT serves as an advisory body to the UNCT on the management of UN Common Services. The UNOMT was created to ensure participation of all agencies in the management of the UN House. UNDP serves as the permanent Vice Chair of the UNOMT as well as member in different Networks. The responsibility of UNDP as the lead agency for the management of the UN House and related Common Services is covered by an MOU signed by all agencies. This is done under the Common Services unit managed by UNDP.
The management of UN House involves all aspects of budgeting/ expenditure/ reporting, UN House related procurements, staff recruitment/supervision/evaluation and discipline, IT support to small agencies, strategic planning as well as maintenance of premises. Facilities currently under the UN House Common Services include cafeteria, fuel dump/ repair garage, meeting rooms, bank, mail/ pouch, Reception/ Telephone, Travel Agency, and the gymnasium. The management of the UN House clinic is also supervised by UNDP.
In addition, UNDP supports the Resident Coordinator’s Office and agencies not represented in the country in the areas of procurement, recruitment, payment, travel services, etc.
UN agencies in the country
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- International Labour Organization (ILO)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS)
- United Nations Development Fund (UNDP)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT)
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNWomen)
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- World Food Programme (WFP)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO)