Before starting the application, please examine the sample copy of the application document. This will give you the opportunity to collect and prepare all the information that you need before starting the online application process.
It is a good idea to plan ahead and type out some of your answers in a separate document. You can then cut and paste them into the system to minimize the chances of errors or time-outs while filling out the application.
The Personal History Form (P11)
Here are some guiding tips to help you complete a Personal History Form (P11) correctly:
- For all entries, clearly indicate whether the work was full-time or part-time by using percentage estimates. i.e. full-time is 100%, whereas part-time is typically around 50%.
- For consultancies, please indicate a lump sum annual amount or the daily rate.
- For non-UN positions, please enter the annual income.
- For UN positions, please indicate type of contract and salary level, i.e. P1, P2, etc.
- Clearly specify unpaid volunteer positions and internships as such.
- Kindly avoid overlapping employment periods unless followed by explanatory text.
- It is important to include a detailed description of the main responsibilities and tasks you carried out during each period of employment.
The "Cover letter" section in the online application offers you the opportunity to explain what has motivated you to apply for the specific position (or positions). It is also an opportunity for you to highlight what you think are your most relevant qualifications for the particular position(s) you are interested in.
Please note that you are expected to write a separate and relevant cover letter for each position for which you are applying.
For your cover letter(s), please use the language indicated beside the respective vacancy notice, which is the language of the duty station and in which a high level of competency is required. Limited language training for the selected candidate may be available, however, for some positions.
Useful Links for a succesful application