On Sunday February 20th the National Steering Committee meeting of Carbon Sequestration Project (CSP) - a joint initiative between UNDP Iran and Forests, Range, and Watershed Management Organization (FRWO) was held.
Through the implementation of this project, together with national partners, we have accumulated a wealth of knowledge and achieved good results including:
- Participatory natural resource management approaches put in place by the project have been reflected in the 6th National Development Plan;
- Sustainable land management practices were applied resulting in improved productivity of arid lands in pilot sites.
- The project interventions were scaled up from 4 pilot provinces to 18 [out of 31];
- ~600 permanent jobs created through promoting small businesses such as handicrafts and sustainable land management technologies were applied.
- More than 2,400 loans were provided especially to women entrepreneurs and community-based women associations, including via 63 Village Development Groups.
UNDP Iran will be exploring options for scaling up the pilot models in other parts of the country and other thematic areas with the focus on green jobs.