Modern Parliament for a Modern Armenia (MAP)
What we do
Modern Parliament for a Modern Armenia (MAP) is designed to support the National Assembly of the Republic of Armenia (NA) in carrying out its main functions: legislative, oversight, and representation and creating avenues for public engagement.
The project's long-term goal is to improve the efficiency of the Parliament as a policy-making institution, as well as to help the National Assembly in taking advantage of modern governance tools and processes, with a focus on improved parliamentary quality, transparency, and inclusiveness, and enhanced parliamentary capacity for gender-responsive policymaking.
UNDP MAP Project is supporting the NA in enhancing its role and functions in legislative research, training and drafting as we as oversight by:
➔ Enhancing capacity in law-making, policymaking, and oversight
➔ Increasing the transparency and inclusiveness of the legislature
➔ Responsiveness to the needs of constituencies and strengthening interaction with them
Results so far
MAP Project impact
- strengthening the separation of powers and parliamentary democracy by introducing extensive reformatory processes and tools.
- enhancement of the overall policy making in the NA through provision of a quality research and collection of wide inputs. This in turn provided a demand by MPs for more analytical approach and quality preparation in legislative drafting.
- foster culture of openness of the RA NA and raising awareness amongst the citizens that they have the right to be informed and consulted.
- fostering dialogue between the CSOs and MPs
- public consultations
- post-legislative scrutiny
- timely legislative impact analysis in terms of amendments to the following key laws:Amendments to the Labour Law:
- Introducing paternity leave
- Child Care improvements
- Amendment to the RA Law on Local Self-Government
- Amendment to the Law on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Amendments to the Criminal Code
- Amendments to the Civil Code
Technical and Strategic highlights
· Supported the NA towards becoming a truly transformative parliament by embarking on a digital transformation, cooperation and strengthening of all NA functions.
· Institutionalisation of the Research and Training Centre
· Business continuity plan and protocols including the cyber security
· International and local platforms contribution for CSOs-NA platforms
- Introduction and institutionalisation of several innovative mechanisms such as web portal, mobile committee sessions, public participation platforms etc.
- Contributed to securing strategic approach in reformatory processes and led towards digital transformation set up
- Introduction of e-Modules, e-Learning materials and hand-over to the depository of the Research and Training Centre
- Gender Responsive Policy Making
- CSOs-NA Cooperation platform (324 representatives from different organizations)
- Gender Audit
- Gender Responsive Budgeting
- Gender Reference Library
United Nations Development Programme
DEPARTMENT FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (DFID)
GOVERNMENT OF SWEDEN
SWEDISH INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT COOPERATION (SIDA)
DELIVERY IN PREVIOUS YEARS
Since 2005, April 4 has been recognized by the UN General Assembly as the International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action. On this occasion, th...
Launching event of EU funded “Accountable Institutions and Human Rights Protection in Armenia” project
Yerevan, 25 January 2022 – Today, representatives of the Government of Armenia, diplomatic community, international organisations, civil society, and media launch...
Tamara's Success Story
Funded by European Union Humanitarian Aid and implemented by UNDP in Armenia, on-the-job trainings are part of a program that supports displaced people in re-esta...
Strengthening Digital Vocational Education and Training (VET)
UNDP in Armenia, in the framework of joint UNDP-UNICEF “Strengthening Stability and Resilience of the Bordering Communities in Vayots Dzor, Gegharkunik and Syunik...