Call for GEF Small Grants National Steering Committee Volunteer Nominations
August 30, 2022
The GEF Small Grants Programme (SGP) was launched in 1992 following the principle that global environmental solutions are sustainable if local communities are actively involved, own and benefit from them. The programme is funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF) and implemented by UNDP on behalf of the GEF partnership and executed by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS).
SGP aims to deliver global environmental benefits in the GEF focal areas of biodiversity conservation, climate change mitigation, protection of international waters, prevention of land degradation, and elimination of persistent organic pollutants through community-based approaches. For more information about the GEF SGP, click here.
SGP is highly decentralized and implemented in a democratic, transparent, and country-driven manner facilitated by the National Coordinator. SGP grants are awarded based on decisions made by the voluntary National Steering Committee (NSC) guided by the Country Programme Strategy paper based on national environment and development priorities.
The NSC is the central element of the SGP and makes the key contribution to the country's programme and its strategic management. The majority of the NSC is composed of volunteers representing civil society members representing NGOs, CBOs, academia, science, and the private sector. Government and UNDP serve as institutional members on the committee. Through the fully voluntary work of NSC, members guide the development and implementation of SGP Country Programme Strategies and approval of grants for projects.
The Role of NSC
UNDP Eswatini is establishing a database of volunteers of willing and eligible individuals who are willing and available to serve on the NSC. The volunteers, if successful, will undertake the following duties:
- Provide overall guidance and direction to the Country Programme and contributes to developing and implementing strategies for Country Programme sustainability.
- Review, select and approve projects, and ensure their technical and substantive quality as regards the strategic objectives of the SGP.
- Contribute to the development of the Country Programme Strategy following the relevant GEF Project Document for the Operational Phase and national environmental priorities and oversee its implementation.
- Support the Country Programme in resource mobilization and in mainstreaming SGP lessons learned and successes in national development planning and policymaking.
- Participate in pre-selection project site visits and project monitoring and evaluation.
- As a central element of the SGP, provides the primary substantive contribution and oversight to the programme, in coordination with the NC.
- Have an abiding interest and commitment to working with communities and share a vision of what sustainable development and "thinking globally, acting locally" might mean in terms of linking the GEF focal areas with community needs and concerns.
- For full Terms of Reference, click here.
Local citizens who are:
- Voluntary members from the CSO sector (including NGOs, academic and scientific institutions, indigenous peoples, women groups, and others);
- Representatives from the private sector representatives, donor institutions, experts
- A Bachelor’s Degree - Master's Degree or higher will be an added advantage –or minimum 3 years of experience in community development, Natural Resources Management, Environmental Economics, Development Studies, or a related field.
How to Nominate
Nominations should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 01 October 2022.
UNDP to raise awareness on plastic pollution by introducing jute-polymer bags
In celebration of World Environment Day 2023 and to address the theme of plastic pollution, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Bangladesh has intr...
Public institutions could save up to 28% of the money allocated for heating, if they purchased briquettes and pellets during March-August
Public institutions that heat with solid biofuel could save up to 28% of the resources allocated for heating, if they made purchases during March-August, when bri...
Consumers will be able to choose easier energy-efficient household appliances, thanks to color-coding labels
Household appliances will have energy labels, on a scale from A to G, A being the most energy efficient. The new labels will contain more information about the pr...
Energy and water consumption in over 3,000 public institutions to be monitored through an Energy Management Information System
Over 3,000 public institutions in Moldova will have their electricity, natural gas, thermal energy, and water consumption monitored through an Energy Management I...