The programme has a strong focus on strengthening the institutional, human, financial, and technical capacities of governance institutions by helping these institutions put in place systems, structures, policy frameworks, and processes for development effectiveness. The capacity strengthening processes are driven by the core principles of inclusion (leave no one behind), social justice, civic participation, transparency and accountability, innovation, gender equality, human rights, rule of law, and sustainable peace for improved access and service provision.
Our governance offer also aims to strengthen capacities of oversight institutions of the Government in key areas of accountably such as e.g, effective and efficient public financial management and auditing system; promote and guarantee the dignity of labor and decent work environment; promote effective and robust social and civic dialogues platforms, promote workers industrial skills development and promote research, learning, and development into Eritrea historical background. In addition, the Strategic Governance Unit helps the Government to advance its national agenda on access to justice, human rights, rule of law, and right to development.
UNDP's interventions on strategic governance focuses on:
- Youth employment and skills development;
- Enhancing access to justice and Rule of law
- Strengthening the human and institutional capacity of key Governmental
- Institutions to deliver effective and efficient public services;
Programmes and Initiatives
- Youth employment and Skills development
- Enhancing Human and Institutional Capacity in the Justice Sector and UPR
- Enhancing the capacity of key Govt. Institutions to deliver public services
- Technical capacity of data-producing institutions increased to collect, manage, analyse, package and utilize data to improve learning, monitoring and evaluation and for decision-making
- Strengthening the technical and financial capabilities of the office of the Attorney General and law enforcement institutions to improve transparency and accountability.
- Contribute to the Eritrea regional integration agenda through trade facilitation, logistics support and capacity-building to maximize efficiency and competitiveness in customs clearance and improve the quality of international trade data.
- Support the Government in raising the Level of awareness of Goals and civic participation in national development process
- support national efforts to implement the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and prepare the Universal Periodic Review report, including by developing implementation plans and strengthening coordination.
- Support to harness the knowledge of Eritrean professionals around the world to strengthen capacities in ministries and public institutions, including mobilization of financial resources for development