Trade and gender in the Arab region case study on Egypt and Morocco
February 2, 2021
Date: 4 February 2021
The project of Strengthening Arab Economic Integration for Sustainable Development (AEISD), by United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), sets as objective, provision of technical assistance to the League of Arab States (LAS), and Member states of Pan Arab Free Trade Area (PAFTA) in working towards a deepened integration. The project seeks to achieve more detailed understanding of the modalities through which Arab women and the youth contribute to deepening Arab economic cooperation and making trade an effective instrument for resilient and participatory economies in the region.
The project is organizing a webinar on “Trade and Gender in the Arab region–Case study of Egypt and Morocco” that aims:
* To achieve a better understanding of the relationship between trade and gender, the positive and negative impact of trade liberalization on women, and how women can be a main player in trade activities and contribute to the economic growth of countries.
* To get knowledge on the status of gender, trade and business in the Arab statesthrough understanding the statistical profile for Arab countries,the demographic characteristicsand labor force participation in Arab countries.
* To achieve a better understanding about the implications on trade and gender related legislations and strategies on enhancing the role of women in economic and trade activities.
* To increase the understanding on how the current Arab agreements on trade in goods and services can support women engagement in trade activities.
* To exchange experiences of success stories for women engagement in trade activities in Egypt and Morocco, potential for development and the challenges facing them with the required policy reform
Representatives of women entrepreneurs working in the private sector, trade and gender relevantgovernment officialsin Egypt and Morocco,and trade related regional organizations will be participating in the webinar.
UNDP and SIDA Support Lebanese Companies Export to the United States
Beirut, 31 January 2022- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), with the support of the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) and in partnersh...
The role of the Arab trade in services agreement to support the tourism and travel sectors in response TO COVID-19
The Virtual Regional Webinar on Tourism and Services will serve as a platform to gain in-depth understanding of national policies and practices implemented by Ara...
Brazil in the Global Economy: Measuring the Gains from Trade
This paper analyzes the benefits and costs of trade liberalization and trade policy choices for Brazil. It finds that increased global economic engagement may be ...