The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Yemen – in partnership with the Youth Leadership Development Foundation (YLDF) – is pleased to launch the ninth edition of the Youth Leadership Programme for the year 2023 (YLP9)!
Call for Applications: Youth Leadership Programme 9
September 11, 2023
Are you a social entrepreneur with an innovative business idea?
Do you have an innovative solution to address a social challenge in your community?
Are you interested in learning more about the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)?
Do you want to meet other young leaders?
Would you like to learn how to improve the design of your solution and implement projects that will help your community?
If so, we want to hear from you!
What is the Youth Leadership Programme?
In 2015, UNDP in the Arab States launched the Youth Leadership Programme to empower young people and support them to design and implement innovative, impactful, and sustainable development solutions – whether in the form of social enterprises, nonprofits, NGOs, initiatives, social entrepreneurship, or campaigns.
As such, UNDP Yemen is looking to engage and nurture young Yemeni entrepreneurs involved in tackling the most difficult challenges of our time and contibuting to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
The programme will support and empower Yemen’s young change-makers to design and implement innovative, effective, and sustainable development solutions. It aims to:
- Accelerate implementation of pioneering solutions for sustainable development; and,
- Build networks of young women and men who create change and have a positive, sustainable impact in their communities.
2023 Theme: Empowering Youth for a Sustainable Green Economy: Towards a Sustainable World
YLP9 Overarching theme for 2023
The programme's theme will focus on the Green Economy, aiming to empower youth to contribute towards achieving a green economy that encompasses social, environmental, and economic sustainable development pillars. The programme will support the youth in two streams: community builders and social entrepreneurs.
- Community builders
Throughout time, young Yemeni people have developed grassroots innovations that address gaps in the availability of essential services in their communities. Young people have shown that they can play valuable roles as innovators or agents of change, and that their contributions should be actively supported and seen as part of building peaceful communities.
2. Social entrepreneurs
Yemen, as is most of the Arab region, suffers from a high rate of youth unemployment. The United Nations Development Programme recognizes that entrepreneurship and innovation are essential to harness the economic potential of every nation, however, for entrepreneurship to thrive, a conducive business environment is needed. The added value of the programme is the promotion and introduction of metrics geared towards measuring the SDGs in business and promoting more sustainable private sector development over time.
Participation will bring about opportunities
By joining the programme, you will:
- Be a part of a dynamic network of young and innovative Yemeni leaders who desire to help the country build forward better. Participants will have the opportunity to participate in the programme with other young leaders from the Arab region and will have extensive opportunities to not only implement your ideas for social change but also develop your leadership potential.
- Develop your skills in social innovation approaches and methodologies as well as increase your skills in problem-solving, communication and leadership, strengthen your presentation abilities, and increase your understanding of emotional intelligence.
- Help expand your knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals, and play a role in achieving them.
- Learn more about wellbeing and mental health and its role in creating effective change.
- Receive a participation certificate.
Finally, the best two projects from each governorate (one from each pathway) will receive USD$ 2000. Committed participants may have the chance to attend the regional workshops.
Both women and men applicants that meet the requirements below are encouraged to apply here. The deadline for the application is Tuesday, 19 September 2023. Women and people living with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Between 19 – 29 years of age
- Fluency in Arabic
- Yemeni nationality living in Seyion or Al-Turbah
- Have an innovative solution or social entrepreneurship idea/project that contributes to achieving the SDGs and 2030 Agenda
- Highly motivated and interested in social change
- No experience necessary to apply
- The ability to commit to participation within the programme period (September-November 2023)
For questions, please contact: Ylp9@yldf.org
About our partner
The Youth Leadership Development Foundation (YLDF) is a non-governmental and non-profit organization established in 1998. It was founded to promote the economic empowerment of low-income youth, both males and females. Youth constitute a significant segment of the Yemeni population pyramid, but they have not played a notable role in the development process.
Hence, the vision of the foundation emerged: "Yemen in which skilled, well-qualified and active young women and men play leadership roles in all domains of society and enable Yemenis to contribute to a better world."