Why partner with UNDP?
In today’s global economy access to new markets, products and production opportunities are important for companies’ competitiveness. At the same time economic development is central to the long-term success of businesses as the provision of affordable goods and services and job opportunities to the poor generate rising incomes and thus new market opportunities. Companies around the world are recognizing the benefits from taking greater responsibility and contributing towards sustainable development.
Operating in a developing country and implementing inclusive business models that offer the potential for development impact along with commercial success however may lead to a range of complex issues that companies may not be able to handle on their own. Often these challenges can best be addressed in partnership with other actors – including other businesses, government agencies and civil society organizations. By partnering with UNDP many of the challenges can be addressed effectively.
UNDP has a long history of working successfully with the private sector in support of sustainable development. As a partner, the private sector can benefit from engaging with UNDP through its:
- Deep understanding of development issues and of the local context in developing countries;
- Convening power that brings together government and other stakeholders;
- Facilitation role in developing value chains and inclusive markets;
- Expertise and mandate in building capacities of governments, private sector and civil society;
- Guidance in conducting the business in a sustainable manner, including by upholding social and environmental standards.
Companies interested in working with UNDP can engage through country offices, regional bureaus and Headquarters. Click on 'UNDP around the world' in the top banner to access contact information for our Country Offices and Regional Centres, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org