Water Governance Umbrella
For decades, UNDP has been deeply committed to governance on water, the foundation of survival, source of civilization and key to ecology. The on-going Water Governance Umbrella Project in China, under UNDP’s collaboration with China International Centre for Economic and Technical Exchanges and the Coca Cola Company, which we call “the Golden Triangle”, has been in operation since 2007.
The 12-year of endeavour focused on a variety of key areas from cleaner production, improving water efficiency, to pollution control:
· non-point pollution control
· water saving irrigation techniques
· sustainable agriculture
· reasonable water quota management
· support water user associations
· drinking water safety in schools and kindergartens
· industrial and domestic sewage treatment and recycling
· waterborne disease control
· optimise floodwater utilisation
· wetland conservation
· water and soil conservation
· ecological rehabilitation and ecosystem management
The 15 provinces, municipality and autonomous regions are: Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia, Heilongjiang, Liaoning, Tianjin, Shandong, Gansu, Shaanxi, Shanxi, Henan, Jiangsu, Sichuan, Zhejiang, Fujian, and Guangxi.
· More people, particularly the vulnerable and disadvantaged, enjoy safe drinking water, sanitation hygiene, and improved living environment.
· Actions on water governance across sectors are scaled up, funded and implemented.
· Effective institutional, legislative and policy frameworks are in place to enhance water resources management, natural and man-made risks at national and subnational levels
· Preparedness systems are in place to effectively reduce risks, prevent crisis and enhance resilience.
· More people enjoy a cleaner, healthier environment as a result of improved water governance and sustainable green growth.
Achieved Results and Prospects:
The Umbrella Programme spread across 15 provinces, municipality and autonomous regions, benefiting approx. 1 million population (approx. 50% are women/children) living in rural areas along the major river basins in China.
Its projects enabled a number of national and local policies and development plans on issues including the national Enhancing Rural Drinking Water Safety Project; the Ministry of Water Resources’ Opinions on Strengthening the Quality of Medium and Small-sized River Basin Management Projects; national strategy of “enhancing rain and floodwater harvesting and utilisation” as indicated in the Central Government’s Document No. 1 in 2011; the development plan of upscaling drip irrigation for sugarcanes in Guangxi Province etc.
As the proud supporter of the SDGs, including Goal 6: Clean Water and Sanitation and Goal 17: Partnership for the Goals, UNDP is also the strategic partner for the Belt and Road Initiative. Since 2018, it has been working on sharing its best practices through South-South Cooperation.
China International Centre For
COCA COLA COMPANY
GOVERNMENT OF CHINA
UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PRO
Xinjiang China Petroleum Forestry Development Co. LTD.
DELIVERY IN PREVIOUS YEARS