Project for improving performance of local services (PIPLS) in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Project for Improving Performance of Local Services (PIPLS) seeks to help local governments increase their level of transparency and accountability in managing publicly owned goods, generate additional revenues and improve service delivery. An establishment of a system for strategic management of public assets portfolio and development of skills among selected staff, necessary for the successful system management, will help local governments scale in the selected areas. Moreover, the project will provide support to local and cantonal governments to practice smart revenue and expenditure management, which will consequently contribute to generating funding for capital investments in critical service areas in line with relevant local development strategy documents. Unlawful spending will be reduced and more funds for investments in services will be available, by strengthening internal control systems and introducing a new level of scrutiny to the local government's financial management practices. The efforts to strengthening practices and address inefficient public procurement practices, will also include enhancements in procurement policies and procedures across partner local governments.
Within the supplementary component of the Project, Technical Assistance Facility (TAF), newly elected local government leaders will be supported in their efforts to effectively deliver their reform agendas aimed at improving the quality of life in their communities, focusing on the delivery of critical public services. The technical assistance to the local governments will be provided in 4 focus areas: Digital governance, Service delivery and infrastructure, Local economic development, and Financial management.
What we do
- Reviewing municipal asset management practices, budget analysis and the internal control environment in local and cantonal governments;
- Strengthening LG capacities / improving practices in expenditure management, internal control and public procurement;
- Rewarding the best performers with implementation of priority infrastructure interventions;
- Introducing improvements in service delivery through the introduction of digital tools/ processes, implementation of major infrastructure initiatives, as well as development of innovative economic development initiatives.
- Improved service delivery through better management of the municipal asset portfolio;
- Enhanced revenue and expenditure management through improved internal controls and public procurement capacities;
- Upgraded public service infrastructure;
- Local government leaders supported in their efforts to effectively deliver their reform agendas aimed at improving the quality of life in their communities.
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Government of Sweden, United Nations Development Programme and local governments in BiH
Public Administration Reform Coordinator’s Office (PARCO), entity Ministries of Finance, Office for Development and European Integration of Posavina Canton, entity Associations of Municipalities and Cities (AMCs), two Cantons and 22 LGs
Rural and Regional Development
United Nations Development Programme
GOVERNMENT OF BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
SWEDISH INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT COOPERATION (SIDA)
UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PRO
DELIVERY IN PREVIOUS YEARS
Joint UN Programme “Towards the SDG Financing Ecosystem in Bosnia and Herzegovina”
SDGs Financing Framework, resulting from a broad-based dialogue, provides long term solutions for more integrated sustainable development financing in BiH
The Programme aims to support the authorities in Bosnia and Herzegovina in their efforts and progress towards the SDGs as per targets defined in the SDG Framework...
COUNTRY INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVE (CIDI) is a five-year project (2018-2023) that seeks to improve the quality of life for people in Bosnia and Herzego...
Goal of the project "Revitalizing Local Communities Phase II" is to improve the quality of life of the citizens of BiH through empowered, gender responsive local ...