"A functioning democracy needs effective institutions but it also relies on people being aware of both their rights and their responsibilities. It requires those to be respected and upheld. It requires accountable government."
International Day of Democracy
The subject of this year's theme -- democracy education -- is essential for the long-term success of democracy. It is only with educated citizens that a sustainable culture of democracy can emerge. Read the UN Secretary-General's Message for 2012.
Democratic governance is a cornerstone of UNDP's work, instrumental to empowering nations and communities in 177 countries and territories around the world. In 2011, UNDP helped more than 130 countries and devoted US$1.5 billion to democratic governance, making it one of the world's largest providers of democratic governance assistance.
UNDP strengthens democratic participation in civic engagement, electoral systems and processes, parliamentary development; and e-governance and access to information.
In 2011 alone, UNDP reviewed laws affecting people living with HIV in 15 Pacific Island countries. As a result, UNDP is now supporting HIV law-reform efforts in half a dozen countries there, including Fiji, which removed its discriminatory ‘sodomy law’ and later passed human rights-compliant HIV and AIDS law.more
Several years ago, Soy Pheap, a 39-year-old mother of seven, was forced to make a tough decision: send her daughter away, or forfeit the young girl’s more
Message from Helen Clark
- 17 Feb 2016:Colombia: The Government, the UN and the international community launch new fund for stabilization and post-conflict peacebuilding
- 28 Jan 2016:Survey reveals South Sudanese views on truth, justice and healing
- 14 Dec 2015:Central African Republic holds constitutional referendum
This guidebook identifies targeted interventions for promoting the stronger presence and influence of women in political parties as well as advancing gender equality issues in party policies and platforms.
This interative map shows a selection of nationally driven initiatives to measure aspects of democracy or democratic practice in their country.
- #SDG10: REDUCED INEQUALITIES - 09 days to Rio 2016 (português abaixo) "Before coming to Brazil, I did not see myself as a privileged person, eventhough I was. One day, working with young people from disadvantaged communities, one of them placed himself like a privileged person because his mother have raised alone six children with only a minimum wage and guided him on the right track. Part of me believed that all I had won was by my own, but at that moment I realized how much I was privileged. Society is so used to 'having' that forgets a little bit of 'being' - which, in fact, is what fulfill us." – Maria Sol Durán, 30 years old ---- #ODS10: REDUÇÃO DAS DESIGUALDADES - 09 dias para as OlimpíadasBrasil2016 "Antes de vir para o Brasil, eu não me enxergava como uma pessoa privilegiada, embora fosse. Então um dia, num trabalho com jovens de comunidades carentes, um deles se colocou como privilegiado porque sua mãe, sozinha, havia criado seis filhos com apenas um salário mínimo e o orientou a seguir por um caminho bom. Uma parte de mim acreditava que tudo o que eu tinha conquistado era mérito próprio, mas, naquele momento, percebi o quanto era privilegiada. A sociedade está tão acostumada ao ‘ter’ que esquece um pouco do ‘ser’ – o que, na realidade, é aquilo que nos completa." – Maria Sol Durán, 30 anos #HumansOfRio #MorroDoBorel #HumansOfMyWorld #Rio2016 PNUD Brasil United Nations Development Programme - UNDP UNDP in Latin America and the Caribbean ONU Brasil United Nations SDG Action Campaign 3 hours ago
- What's our Michelle Yeoh 楊紫瓊's secret to success? In her recent The Huffington Post interview with Alexandre Mars she revealed it. Check it out here: 3 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook