"A functioning democracy needs effective institutions but it also relies on people being aware of both their rights and their responsibilities. It requires those to be respected and upheld. It requires accountable government."
International Day of Democracy
The subject of this year's theme -- democracy education -- is essential for the long-term success of democracy. It is only with educated citizens that a sustainable culture of democracy can emerge. Read the UN Secretary-General's Message for 2012.
Democratic governance is a cornerstone of UNDP's work, instrumental to empowering nations and communities in 177 countries and territories around the world. In 2011, UNDP helped more than 130 countries and devoted US$1.5 billion to democratic governance, making it one of the world's largest providers of democratic governance assistance.
UNDP strengthens democratic participation in civic engagement, electoral systems and processes, parliamentary development; and e-governance and access to information.
In 2011 alone, UNDP reviewed laws affecting people living with HIV in 15 Pacific Island countries. As a result, UNDP is now supporting HIV law-reform efforts in half a dozen countries there, including Fiji, which removed its discriminatory ‘sodomy law’ and later passed human rights-compliant HIV and AIDS law.more
Several years ago, Soy Pheap, a 39-year-old mother of seven, was forced to make a tough decision: send her daughter away, or forfeit the young girl’s more
Message from Helen Clark
- 17 Feb 2016:Colombia: The Government, the UN and the international community launch new fund for stabilization and post-conflict peacebuilding
- 28 Jan 2016:Survey reveals South Sudanese views on truth, justice and healing
- 14 Dec 2015:Central African Republic holds constitutional referendum
This guidebook identifies targeted interventions for promoting the stronger presence and influence of women in political parties as well as advancing gender equality issues in party policies and platforms.
This interative map shows a selection of nationally driven initiatives to measure aspects of democracy or democratic practice in their country.
- How can Territorial Partnership and Decentralised Cooperation contribute to the implementation of the #2030Agenda? Last June, the UNDP ART Initiative, the Basque Government, the CPMR - Conference of peripheral maritime regions and PLATFORMA co-organized the seminar “Integrated territorial partnerships and the SDGs: How to leave no one behind” in Brussels, Belgium. The event was a good opportunity for local governments and their associations along with high officials from the European Commission, United Nations Development Programme - UNDP and OECD to exchange practical aspects of Territorial Partnerships and Decentralised Cooperations. To learn more about the seminar, read the report at: https://goo.gl/0L5GXh 49 minutes ago
- New blog post! Last month we joined forces with the UN in Brussels Team at the European Development Days (EDD) in Brussels, Europe’s leading forum on sustainable development. For its tenth anniversary, #EDD2016 focused on the Sustainable Development Goals. #EDD16 European Commission European Commission - Development & Cooperation - EuropeAid UN House UNRIC UNRIC España y Andorra United Nations Regional Information Centre- UNRIC United Nations Development Programme - UNDP about an hour ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook