"A functioning democracy needs effective institutions but it also relies on people being aware of both their rights and their responsibilities. It requires those to be respected and upheld. It requires accountable government."
International Day of Democracy
The subject of this year's theme -- democracy education -- is essential for the long-term success of democracy. It is only with educated citizens that a sustainable culture of democracy can emerge. Read the UN Secretary-General's Message for 2012.
Democratic governance is a cornerstone of UNDP's work, instrumental to empowering nations and communities in 177 countries and territories around the world. In 2011, UNDP helped more than 130 countries and devoted US$1.5 billion to democratic governance, making it one of the world's largest providers of democratic governance assistance.
UNDP strengthens democratic participation in civic engagement, electoral systems and processes, parliamentary development; and e-governance and access to information.
In 2011 alone, UNDP reviewed laws affecting people living with HIV in 15 Pacific Island countries. As a result, UNDP is now supporting HIV law-reform efforts in half a dozen countries there, including Fiji, which removed its discriminatory ‘sodomy law’ and later passed human rights-compliant HIV and AIDS law.more
Several years ago, Soy Pheap, a 39-year-old mother of seven, was forced to make a tough decision: send her daughter away, or forfeit the young girl’s more
Message from Helen Clark
- 14 Mar 2016: Magdy Martínez-Solimán: Statement at the opening of the global workshop on Preventing Violent Extremism and Promoting Inclusive Development,Tolerance and Diversity
- 17 Feb 2016:Colombia: The Government, the UN and the international community launch new fund for stabilization and post-conflict peacebuilding
- 28 Jan 2016:Survey reveals South Sudanese views on truth, justice and healing
This guidebook identifies targeted interventions for promoting the stronger presence and influence of women in political parties as well as advancing gender equality issues in party policies and platforms.
This interative map shows a selection of nationally driven initiatives to measure aspects of democracy or democratic practice in their country.
- Agriculture employs over 1.3 billion people worldwide-- that's 40% of the world's workforce growing food to feed the world. Women and girls make up half of this labor force. Just one of the many reasons we <3 farmers. What about you? #WeLoveFarmers | #WED2016 7 hours ago
- Ladies and gents, is our Caribbean's seaweed crisis linked to climate change? Pictured, rescuers dig out a stranded leatherback turtle that had become completely trapped in Sargassum seaweed in Trinidad: #WED2016 | #ActonClimate 7 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook