"A functioning democracy needs effective institutions but it also relies on people being aware of both their rights and their responsibilities. It requires those to be respected and upheld. It requires accountable government."
International Day of Democracy
The subject of this year's theme -- democracy education -- is essential for the long-term success of democracy. It is only with educated citizens that a sustainable culture of democracy can emerge. Read the UN Secretary-General's Message for 2012.
Democratic governance is a cornerstone of UNDP's work, instrumental to empowering nations and communities in 177 countries and territories around the world. In 2011, UNDP helped more than 130 countries and devoted US$1.5 billion to democratic governance, making it one of the world's largest providers of democratic governance assistance.
UNDP strengthens democratic participation in civic engagement, electoral systems and processes, parliamentary development; and e-governance and access to information.
In 2011 alone, UNDP reviewed laws affecting people living with HIV in 15 Pacific Island countries. As a result, UNDP is now supporting HIV law-reform efforts in half a dozen countries there, including Fiji, which removed its discriminatory ‘sodomy law’ and later passed human rights-compliant HIV and AIDS law.more
Several years ago, Soy Pheap, a 39-year-old mother of seven, was forced to make a tough decision: send her daughter away, or forfeit the young girl’s more
Message from Helen Clark
- 17 Feb 2016:Colombia: The Government, the UN and the international community launch new fund for stabilization and post-conflict peacebuilding
- 28 Jan 2016:Survey reveals South Sudanese views on truth, justice and healing
- 14 Dec 2015:Central African Republic holds constitutional referendum
This guidebook identifies targeted interventions for promoting the stronger presence and influence of women in political parties as well as advancing gender equality issues in party policies and platforms.
This interative map shows a selection of nationally driven initiatives to measure aspects of democracy or democratic practice in their country.
- El Proyecto de conservación de la Fauna urbana de la Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas UCV: CON QUIEN COMPARTES LA UCV? Biodiversidad Urbana Ucv Está nominado a los Premios Latinoamérica Verde, obteniendo el puesto 135 dentro de 1470 mejores proyectos socio-ambientales de América Latina y en la categoría Biodiversidad y Fauna, a la que fuimos postulados, fue clasificado en el puesto 11 de 107 proyectos. El evento se desarrollará del 23-25 de agosto en Guayaquil-Ecuador, donde estaremos participando por un importante financiamiento que permitirá financiar proyectos de tesis y la recuperación de espacios universitarios, así como representando a Venezuela y a la UCV ante las mejores casas de estudios y ONGS de América Latina AYÚDANOS A ASISTIR A ESTE IMPORTANTE EVENTO!! https://www.gofundme.com/2grbykc The conservation project of urban Fauna of the University City of Caracas UCV: who do you share the UCV? He is nominated for Latin America Green Awards, winning the 135 in 1470 as best socio-environmental projects in Latin America and in the category Biodiversity and Wildlife, which were postulated, was ranked in 11th place of 107 projects. The event will be held August 23-25 in Guayaquil-Ecuador, where we will be participating for an important funding will finance thesis projects and recovery of university spaces and representing Venezuela and UCV to the best universities and NGOs from Latin America HELP US TO ATTEND EVENT THIS IMPORTANT !! 3 hours ago
- La vicegobernadora @lauramonteromza , el Coord.del Sistema de #NacionesUnidas y Rep.Residente del United Nations Development Programme - UNDP #Argentina, @renemauricio Valdés, y la Sec. Ejecutiva del CNCPS @agostogabriela firman en Legislatura Abierta #mendoza el compromiso por los #ODS. 6 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook