Social Good Summit in Nairobi | 24th September
LIVESTREAM: Monday, 24 September 13.00 - 15.45 GMT / 9 a.m. - 11.45 EDT Nairobi, Kenya (4.00 - 6.45 p.m. local time)
This year, for the first time, the Summit is going around the world, coming to Nairobi and to Beijing. We'll get the most exciting tech companies and innovators talking to people who can bring power, influence or capital to the table, and live-stream their conversations back to the main Summit in New York – and around the world.
With half a billion people under 20 and 700 million mobile phone users doing business online, Africa must be included in any global conversation on how we can use new media to solve problems. That's why the Social Good Summit 2012 is coming to Africa.
Be a part of the 2012 Social Good Summit in Nairobi!
Topic 1: GOVERNANCE AND LEADERSHIP
What role can digital technology play in governance and leadership around the world?
- Aeneas Chuma, @AeneasChumaUN - the UN’s Resident Representative to Kenya
- Amira Mikhail @amiramikhail - Cairo-based Egyptian-American activist, blogger and key figure in the 2011 Egyptian pro-democracy protests
- Charles Onyango-Obbo, @cobbo3 - digital editor of the Nation Media Group
- Daudi Were, @mentalacrobatic – project manager at Ushahidi, a crowdsourcing election-monitoring website that started during Kenya’s post-election violence, then went global
- Conrad Akunga, @roomthinker / @MzalendoWatch – blogger and founder of MP monitoring website mzalendo.com
- Gado @igaddo - political cartoonist behind political puppet show "The XYZ Show" and co-founder of Buni TV
- Julie Gichuru, @juliegichuru - News Anchor and Digital Manager at Citizen TV
- Emmanuel Jal, @EmmanuelJAL – former Sudanese child soldier and refugee, now international rap star and peace activist
Topic 2: TECH SOLUTIONS TO IMPROVE FOOD SECURITY
How can new technologies help increase food production and distribution as the continent’s food demands soar?
- Amiran Kenya - a large-scale distributor of agricultural technologies supporting small-scale farmers
- Anne Mitaru @AnneMitaru - creator of online campaign Africans Act for Africa during last year’s Horn of Africa food crisis, now with Save the Children
- Nick Wasuna – Deputy National Director for World Vision
- Judah Arap Bett @Bett2o11 - chairman of the East African Grain Council and political aspirant
- Su Kahumbu @SuKahumbu - developed iCow, an app for dairy farmers, and supports organic farming through an online organic farming network
- Amos Thiongo @agriprofocus - business developer at Agri-hub, an online meeting place and resource for farmers
Topic 3: AFRICA’S DIGITAL ENTREPRENEURS
How has the internet revolutionised business in Africa?
SPEECH – Lars Linden, Head of @Ericsson Africa
- Just A Band @justaband - hugely successful Kenyan band who used the internet to launch their careers
- Wambura Kimunyu, @wambura - country manager at Cellulant, a Kenyan/Nigerian company that helps digitial entrepreneurs fulfill their potential
- John Waibochi, @johnwaibochi- CEO of Virtual City who create innovation solutions for businesses
- Dr. Bitange Ndemo - Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Information and Communication
- John Kieti @gmeltdown, @mlabeastafrica - Manager of m:lab East Africa - a startup incubator that identifies and nurtures sustainable enterprises
- Mwaura Kirore, @rackus - co-developer of free-to-download videogame 'ma3racer' at Planet Rackus
- Safaricom, Kenya’s mobile telecommunication giant who pioneered mobile money with M-Pesa
- Mbwana Alliy @mbwana - managing partner of @SavannahFund, a seed capital fund for web and mobile startups
- Paul Kukubo – CEO of the Kenya ICT Board
- Okwi Okoh @OkwiOkoh – Nigerian founder of Kweli, an online magazine with multimedia content started in Kenya
Topic 4: EMPOWERING COMMUNITIES THROUGH CONNECTIVITY
How can new technologies bridge gaps in services and infrastructure for communities everywhere?
- Anna Briet, @refunite – project manager at Refugees United, who have developed an app that helps refugees find each other
- Margaret Kositany, @Ericsson – Sustainability & Corporate Responsibility Director for Ericsson Africa, supporting the educational initiative “Connect to Learn”, which gives scholarships to secondary pupils and improves their education using mobile broadband technology
- Nivi Mukherjee @eLimuKenya - 28-year-old founder and CEO of e-limu, an app that provides educational tools for schools
- Caroline Ngugi @MedAfricaOrg - Business Development manager at MedAfrica, an award winning app to collate medical data
- Jessica Colaco @JessicaColaco - Head of research at iHub
- Lukonga Lindunda @lukonga - Founder of the BongoHive in Zambia
- Kafshi Mahmoud @praekeltfound - East Africa manager of the Praekelt Foundation, which builds open source mobile technologies to improve the health and wellbeing of people living in poverty
- James Wariero – Regional Health Systems Advisor at the Millennium Development Goals Centre, Colombia University and the Earth Institute
TOPIC 5: TECH TOOLS IN CONSERVATION
How can digital technology help save what’s left of Africa’s forests and wildlife?
- Mathew Kimolo, @paradigmproject – Kenya Country Director of the Paradigm Project, who are using an internet campaign to part-fund a roll out of low-fuel cookers to rural households in developing countries, helping to reduce tree-felling for firewood
- Anjali Nayar, @anjalinayar – Indian-canadian film-maker and writer specialising in climate change and developing country science, and a fellow at Nature Magazine, who has documented the work of conservationists in the Congo basin and Liberia
- Achim Steiner, @UNEP - Head of the United Nations Environment Programme
- Taye Teferi, @World_Wildlife – Regional Director of WWF
- Paula Kahumbu @paulakahumbu - conservationist, blogger and activist with WildlifeDirect
- Dino Martins @dinomartins - entymologist trying to save African bees who is getting farmers to text and email photos and data from all over rural Kenya
- Richard Turere - the 13-year-old innovator whose simple gadget to stop lions from killing livestock is now being used in India
Live Tweets about the SummitJoin the Conversation - use #SGSNairobi in your tweets
Related UNDP News
- 09 Aug 2016:UNDP Goodwill Ambassador Misako Konno Visits Kenya
- 18 Jul 2016:Helen Clark: Speech at High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development side event “Early action to Leave No One Behind: Delivering for the World’s Poorest People”
- 23 May 2016:Africa: economic transformation hinges on unlocking potential of cities, says the African Economic Outlook 2016