"On this International Day of Democracy, we reflect on the human desire for dignity, inclusion and freedom which has seen millions of people across the Arab world demanding change."
International Day of Democracy
Democratic governance is a cornerstone of the United Nations Development Programme’s work, instrumental to empowering nations and communities in 177 countries and territories around the world and advancing the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
Fostering inclusive participation
For the January 2011 Southern Sudan Referendum, UNDP worked through the UN Integrated Referendum and Electoral Division to:
- manage donor funds of more than US$56 million in international assistance;
- procure 3,160 registration kits, 7.5 million ballots and 8,500 polling booths;
- deliver polling materials via commercial trucks, helicopters and air drops.
UNDP also supported voter education and media training, and deployed more than 500 electoral observers to 62 counties during the voter registration period. More results >
Promoting responsive governing institutions
In Georgia, UNDP supported the Legal Aid Service in opening 11 offices and three consultation centres across the country, near populations most in need of legal services. In 2010, the service received more than 20,000 applications for assistance. UNDP also supported training of lawyers and the public on civil rights. More results >
Mainstreaming international principles
In Afghanistan, women won 27 percent of parliamentary seats, exceeding a 25 percent quota reserved for them at September 2010 elections, following a programme of UNDP electoral assistance that included awareness raising and training on gender-related issues. More results >
A record number of more than 7.3 million Guatemalans registered to vote ahead of Guatemala's presidential elections on 11 September. More
UNDP trained some 31,000 Electoral Commission and temporary staff to conduct various functions for the upcoming presidential and assembly vote, including registration and updates to the existing register. More
Message from Helen Clark
- 14 Mar 2016: Magdy Martínez-Solimán: Statement at the opening of the global workshop on Preventing Violent Extremism and Promoting Inclusive Development,Tolerance and Diversity
- 17 Feb 2016:Colombia: The Government, the UN and the international community launch new fund for stabilization and post-conflict peacebuilding
- 28 Jan 2016:Survey reveals South Sudanese views on truth, justice and healing
- This Saturday, feed your #wanderlust with beautiful stories (and environmental action) from one of our #photoblogs. Here's one from #Azerbajian's rolling green pastures: #WED2016 | #ShareHumanity | UNDP Azerbaijan | UNDP in Europe and Central Asia about an hour ago
- #HappyFriday! Every Friday, we'll start a new tradition--posing a happy question for us to share positive community about one another's cultures. Today's question--what's a favorite #Fridaytradition in your country? Ours is leaving the office on time to share a nice meal with friends and family. #ShareHumanity 7 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook