UNDP/Japan Women in Development Fund
The UNDP/Japan Women in Development Fund (JWIDF) was established in 1995 as a joint follow-up initiative between the Government of Japan and UNDP in implementing the Beijing Platform for Action. It supports national capacities in promoting gender equality and the empowerment of women through innovative projects that broaden and sustain women's opportunities. Projects are supported in line with UNDP Gender Equality Strategy 2008-2011 and Japan’s GAD Initiative.
UNDP Gender Equality Strategy 2008 - 2011 (GES)
UNDP’s four main areas of work :
- Poverty reduction
- Democratic governance
- Crisis prevention and recovery
- Environment and sustainable development
Gender equality and women’s empowerment are human rights that lie at the heart of development and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals.
The GES complements UNDP’s Strategic Plan and explains in detail how UNDP can support gender responsive strategic interventions in each of the SP focus areas and through tackling gender-based violence to accelerate progress towards human development and the MDGs. JWIDF contributes to the actions and the results to be achieved as described in the GES.
JWIDF has been supporting numerous poor women and men through its innovative projects on the ground. Projects are carefully selected and implemented in the aim to generate multiple impacts: good practices are oftentimes replicated or scaled up while knowledge and experiences generated out of such projects are disseminated widely among development policy makers and practitioners.
JWIDF projects have generated knowledge and experience that significantly contribute to the wider gender and development arena. Its experiences are compiled into numbers of publications and multimedia to be used for further development activities and policy dialogue.
- 08 Apr 2016:UNDP graphic novel sheds light on issues affecting Roma women
- 18 Mar 2016:Helen Clark: Keynote speech on Women's Economic Empowerment for Sustainable Development in Rural Areas
- 08 Mar 2016:Helen Clark: Speech at the 'Women - the Key to a Sustainable World' event
- 02 Mar 2016:Magdy Martínez-Solimán: Statement delivered at the opening of the 'Expert Meeting on Gender-based Violence and the SDGs'
- 02 Mar 2016:Ending gender-based violence essential to achieving sustainable development