UNDP/Japan Women in Development Fund
The UNDP/Japan Women in Development Fund (JWIDF) was established in 1995 as a joint follow-up initiative between the Government of Japan and UNDP in implementing the Beijing Platform for Action. It supports national capacities in promoting gender equality and the empowerment of women through innovative projects that broaden and sustain women's opportunities. Projects are supported in line with UNDP Gender Equality Strategy 2008-2011 and Japan’s GAD Initiative.
UNDP Gender Equality Strategy 2008 - 2011 (GES)
UNDP’s four main areas of work :
- Poverty reduction
- Democratic governance
- Crisis prevention and recovery
- Environment and sustainable development
Gender equality and women’s empowerment are human rights that lie at the heart of development and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals.
The GES complements UNDP’s Strategic Plan and explains in detail how UNDP can support gender responsive strategic interventions in each of the SP focus areas and through tackling gender-based violence to accelerate progress towards human development and the MDGs. JWIDF contributes to the actions and the results to be achieved as described in the GES.
JWIDF has been supporting numerous poor women and men through its innovative projects on the ground. Projects are carefully selected and implemented in the aim to generate multiple impacts: good practices are oftentimes replicated or scaled up while knowledge and experiences generated out of such projects are disseminated widely among development policy makers and practitioners.
JWIDF projects have generated knowledge and experience that significantly contribute to the wider gender and development arena. Its experiences are compiled into numbers of publications and multimedia to be used for further development activities and policy dialogue.
- 12 Jun 2014:Helen Clark: Statement at the Global Summit to End Sexual Violence in Conflict
- 30 May 2014:Delivering justice and support for victims of wartime sexual violence
- 24 Mar 2014:Iraq - Working to End Domestic Violence Against Women Refugees of the Syria Conflict
- 08 Mar 2014:Focus on Women
- 08 Mar 2014:Statement by UNDP Administrator Helen Clark on International Women's Day