Partnering with regional and local authorities
UNDP aims to develop strategic alliances with European Regions and Local Authorities for decentralized cooperation - with and through the UN: mobilization of innovative resources. The aim is to facilitate the setting up of international, national and local structures for local governance and development and to broker UN partnerships that help to foster UN reform.
The objectives of the partnership are to provide support to regional and local governments interested in establishing collaboration, as follows:
• Promotion of ART GOLD, LEDA and WACAP Programmes;
• At the request of regional and local governments, organises events to present programmes of interest and establish potentialities for international partnerships;
• At the request of a government, organises national events to present the programmes and promote participation, aimed at all the local governments in the country;
• Promote territories and develop marketing documents for dissemination;
• In the framework of UN reform, liaise with other UNDP bureaux (Bureau for Development Policy, Bureau for recovery and post crisis reconstruction, Regional Bureau) and other UN Agencies and Programmes (FAO, ILO, UNAIDS, UNCDF, UNCTAD, UNESCO, UN-HABITAT, UNHCR, UNOPS, UNIFEM, UNITAR).
How the partnership works
Regions and local authorities can partner with UNDP through several programmes that HIP runs:
• ART GOLD Programme (Governance and Local development),
• LEDA Programme (Local Economic Development Agency) as a component of ART GOLD and Growing Sustainable Business from the UNDP BRSP Private sector Division,
• WACAP Programme (World Alliance of Cities Against Poverty) programmes
Access more than 3,000 active UNDP projects, along with more than 8,000 outputs or results.
allow the UN to enhance coherence and efficiency at country and global level, and to increase coordinated, system-wide, implementation.