Why partner with UNDP?
In today’s global economy access to new markets, products and production opportunities are important for companies’ competitiveness. At the same time economic development is central to the long-term success of businesses as the provision of affordable goods and services and job opportunities to the poor generate rising incomes and thus new market opportunities. Companies around the world are recognizing the benefits from taking greater responsibility and contributing towards sustainable development.
Operating in a developing country and implementing inclusive business models that offer the potential for development impact along with commercial success however may lead to a range of complex issues that companies may not be able to handle on their own. Often these challenges can best be addressed in partnership with other actors – including other businesses, government agencies and civil society organizations. By partnering with UNDP many of the challenges can be addressed effectively.
UNDP has a long history of working successfully with the private sector in support of the Millennium Development Goals. As a partner, the private sector can benefit from engaging with UNDP through its:
- Deep understanding of development issues and of the local context in developing countries;
- Convening power that brings together government and other stakeholders;
- Facilitation role in developing value chains;
- Expertise and mandate in building capacities of governments, private sector and civil society;
- Guidance in conducting the business in a sustainable manner and building a positive brand image.
Companies interested in working with UNDP can engage through country offices, regional bureaus and Headquarters. Click on 'UNDP around the world' in the top banner to access contact information for our Country Offices and Regional Centres, or email us at email@example.com
- 16 Mar 2015:UNDP regional head of Europe and CIS lauds Turkey for its commitment to sustainable development in the region
- 20 Oct 2014:PHINMA Properties joins Business Call to Action (BCtA) with commitment to greater housing access in the Philippines
- 15 Oct 2014:German Government, GEF, and UNDP partner to create largest global fund for ICCAs
Featured PublicationsPrivate Sector Success Stories from UNDP Country Offices in Africa
The publication highlights UNDP initiatives that promote private sector-led growth approaches that contribute to sustainable economic growth across sub-Saharan Africa.
This report takes an ecological approach to understanding barriers to poverty reduction and provides opportunities for the private sector actors to help tackle these barriers.
This toolkit is meant to enable UNDP Country Offices and their partners to develop supply chain linkages with local small and medium sized producers in agriculture sector.