African Facility for Inclusive Markets
UNDP's Private Sector [African Facility for Inclusive Markets (AFIM)] Unit is working to accelerate progress toward the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by supporting the development of inclusive, pro-poor markets across Africa.
AFIM is part of the Regional Bureau for Africa (RBA) and based in the UNDP Regional Service Centre for Africa (RSCA) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. AFIM's particular focus is on the promotion of Inclusive Market Development in Africa through the development and expansion of regional value chains in job creating sectors such as agribusiness, tourism, renewable energy, retailing and mining.
AFIM’s inclusive market development strategy seeks to provide poor people with the tools and resources to lift themselves out of poverty through economic growth and development initiatives driven at the regional or country level, in partnership with the African Union, NEPAD, Regional Economic Communities and UNDP Country Offices.
AFIM builds on the work of existing pro-poor national and regional initiatives and serves as a platform for coordinating inclusive growth activities between the United Nations, public and private sectors. Through targeted interventions, AFIM facilitates knowledge sharing, access to finance, and the dissemination of best practices in inclusive market development with emphasis on creating opportunities for low-income and marginalized groups.
AFIM Knowledge Products
- Impact Investment in Africa: Trends, Constraints and Opportunities (2015)
- Private Sector Success Stories from UNDP Country Offices in Africa (2014)
- African Agribusiness Supplier Development Programme (ASDP): Toolkit and Training Manual (2014)
- Realizing Africa’s Wealth – Building Inclusive Businesses for Shared Prosperity (2013)
- Roles and Opportunities of the Private Sector in Africa's Agro-Food Industry (2013)
- Inclusive Business Finance Field Guide (2013)
- African Inclusive Markets Excellence Centre (AIMEC): Primer for Development Partners (2016), Primer for AU Member States (2016) and Business Plan (2016)
Sub-Regional AFIM Weeks and Project Facilitation Platforms
- The East African AFIM Week with the East African Community (EAC) in Nairobi, Kenya. See East Africa AFIM Week Report
- The West African AFIM Week with the Economic Community Of West African States (ECOWAS) in Dakar, Senegal. See West Africa AFIM Week Report
- The Southern African AFIM Week with Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA). See Southern Africa AFIM Week Report
CAADP related documents
- Workshop Report – CAADP Investment Plan Implementation and Private Sector Engagement (Nov 2012)
- CAADP Private Sector and Investor Opportunities Guidelines (2013)
- Concept Note - CAADP Investment Programme
En Français / In French:
- AFIM Brochure Français
- Programme africain d’aide aux fournisseurs de l’agrobusiness (PAAFA): Trousse à outils et Manuel de formation
- Les roles et les opportunities pour le secteur prive de l'industrie agro-alimentaire en Afrique (Summary)
- Guide 2012 de la finance d'enterprise inclusive (Summary)
- African Inclusive Markets Excellence Centre (AIMEC): Primer pour les États membres de l'UA (2016) et Plan d'affaires (2016)
This Declaration was adopted at the High Level Public Private Dialogue (PPD), facilitated by the UNDP, on Engaging the Private Sector in Furthering Africa’s Agribusiness and Food Security Agenda on 19 October 2011 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The following organisations participated and supported the PPD: