MDG GoAL WaSH Programme
MDG GoAL-WaSH is an innovative new UNDP program that aims to accelerate achievement of the water and sanitation MDGs through strategically targeted interventions that strengthen governance of the water and sanitation sectors at appropriate levels. Initial financial support to MDG GoAL-WaSH is generously provided by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
Specifically, GoAL WaSH focuses on:
- Countries with low water and sanitation coverage not projected to achieve the water, sanitation or both MDGs;
- Identifying gaps, needs, constraints and opportunities in national water and sanitation plans, strategies and capacities;
- Governance reform, leadership and policy advocacy
- Incorporation of water and sanitation into national MDG and related poverty reduction strategies;
- Close coordination with governments and key development partners active in water and sanitation at country level
- Special attention on fragile states, where water and sanitation challenges are greatest
GoAL WaSH in Countries:
To date, GoAL-WaSH sector assessments have been carried out in eleven countries: Madagascar, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Zambia, Paraguay, Sierra Leone, Nepal, Mali, Mongolia, Djibouti, Tajikistan and El Salvador. GoAL WASH programmes have also been designed and implemented in Liberia and Angola.