Parliamentary development and indigenous peoples
Under the focus area of parliamentary development, UNDP supports activities on indigenous peoples’ political representation. They aim at understanding and promoting effective representation of minorities and indigenous peoples in Parliaments.
Furthermore, the Global Programme for Electoral Cycle Support (GPECS) aims at strengthening institutional capacity of electoral management bodies to plan, manage and deliver democratic elections. GPECS in Latin America focuses on political participation of indigenous peoples with particular emphasis on indigenous women and youth. For example, GPECS has facilitated the first network for electoral communication for indigenous people in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Topics in Human Rights
- Empowering Indigenous Peoples
- Strengthened engagement with indigenous peoples through partnerships and coordination
- An innovative practice: United Nations Indigenous Peoples' Partnership (UNIPP)
- UN REDD and indigenous peoples
- Parliamentary development and indigenous peoples
- Fast Facts: UNDP and Indigenous Peoples (UNDP, 2009) English | Spanish
- UNDG Guidelines on Indigenous Peoples' Issues (UNDG, 2008) English | French | Spanish
- UNDP and Indigenous Peoples towards Effective Partnerships (UNDP, 2006) English
- UNDP and Indigenous Peoples: A Policy of Engagement (UNDP, 2001) English | French | Spanish