Global Focal Point for Police, Justice and Corrections
The United Nations works to strengthen the rule of law in the police, justice and corrections areas in some of the world’s most insecure places. Recognizing the need to deliver complementary responsibilities under one umbrella and to integrate the political and development dimensions of these efforts, the Secretary-General designated the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) and UNDP to implement a business model focused on joint United Nations operational country support in conflict and crisis settings.
Since 2012, an arrangement known as the Global Focal Point (GFP) for Police, Justice and Corrections Areas in the Rule of Law in Post-Conflict and other Crisis Situations therefore provides a united front for overall UN assistance in these areas. It allows United Nations entities to “deliver as one,” overcoming systemic fragmentation in the process and working together in the pursuit of one set of goals. By making the whole greater than the sum of its parts, this arrangement achieves impact through joint approaches:
- It responds effectively to requests for complex and politically nuanced assistance by bringing together DPKO’s operational expertise and UNDP’s programming and institution-building skills;
- It draws quickly and strategically on the expertise of GFP partners such as UN Women, OHCHR, and UNODC;
- It mobilizes and channels more resources from donors for joint programming;
- It increases leverage with national authorities.
The GFP supports assessment, planning, fundraising and delivery under the guidance of national partners and UN in-country leadership. These efforts have been made possible by the institutionalized cooperation of the key GFP partners, combining their efforts and resources through new GFP working procedures.
Since 2012, the Global Focal Point for Police, Justice and Corrections areas in the Rule of Law in Post-Conflict and other Crisis Situations (GFP) provides a united front, which improves overall UN assistance in these areas.
- 03 Mar 2015:Japan and UNDP team up for the rehabilitation of Mali’s National Police Academy
- 11 Dec 2014:Helen Clark: Speech on “Democratic Governance, Human Rights, and Development” at NORAD's Annual Conference, Oslo, Norway
- 12 Jun 2014:Helen Clark: Statement at the Global Summit to End Sexual Violence in Conflict